Do I Need a Network Driver for the Intel82579LM Module e1000e Gigbabit Network Chipset?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Hello. KolibriOS is not based on the Linux kernel, so this driver cannot be run. However, I could try porting it, but I don't have that kind of hardware to test :( .
    Изобретайте колёса каждый раз, когда хотите написать новую программу.
  • turbocat wrote:... KolibriOS is not based on the Linux kernel, so this driver cannot be run ...
    Would it be simplest for me to find a network card that is compatible with the software?
    Then install the card in my box, in order to implement one of the existing drivers?

If so, are there one or more of the network drivers that are most reliable?

How feasible would that be?
    2022-02-22-0840-Screenshot.png
    2022-02-22-0840-Screenshot.png (117.64 KiB)
    Viewed 10515 times
    2022-02-22-0922-Screenshoty.png
    2022-02-22-0922-Screenshoty.png (100.19 KiB)
    Viewed 10511 times
  • Realtek RTL8139
  • Hi! It's easier to port the driver from Minix provided that the PCI_DEVICE_ID matches.
    https://elixir.ortiz.sh/minix/latest/so ... /net/e1000

Porting driver from Linux may be very difficult.
  • sober_dev wrote:Realtek RTL8139
    Do you have a source for a PCI express card with that chipset?
    The closest I could find was the RTL8111. Also, I am seeing a good number of RTL811H cards - but do not know if they are similar or the same chipset with a different name.
  • Kelikaku
    Souce codes
    Spoiler:
    VirtualBox_KolibriOS_23_02_2022_19_30_28.png
    VirtualBox_KolibriOS_23_02_2022_19_30_28.png (90.83 KiB)
    Viewed 10437 times
  • i8254x driver can be considered KolibriOS equivalent of linux e1000 driver.
    (In a much simplified form, it does not have so many features but supports many of the same devices)

Your device is not recognised because it is not in our list of known working devices for the i8254x driver, but it could well be that it simply works after adding it to this list. (Much like Doczom suggested in your other thread.)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • hidnplayr wrote:i8254x driver can be considered KolibriOS equivalent ... )
    I just installed the new network card with the RTL8169SC chipset. The system recognized it, and a popup message says "network connected." I think the RTL8169 is backward compatible with the RTL8139, it is designed for 32-bit systems. So the driver for the RTL8169 seems to be natively installed, but the browser still isn't connecting to the web?

So at least the new network card is connected to & recognized by the OS, but now, how do I get the browser to go online?

I will post a few screenshots later.
  • Kelikaku wrote:I just installed the new network card with the RTL8169SC chipset. The system recognized it, and a popup message says "network connected." I think the RTL8169 is backward compatible with the RTL8139, it is designed for 32-bit systems. So the driver for the RTL8169 seems to be natively installed
    Realtek 8139 family of cards is quite different then Realtek 8169 family.
    That is why both are supported by a separate driver in KolibriOS.
    There is no backwards compatibility with RTL8139 in the RTL8169 hardware that I know of, or any limitation to 32 or 64-bit systems.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • [/attachment]
    hidnplayr wrote:... Realtek 8139 family of cards is quite different than Realtek 8169 ... That is why both are supported by a separate driver in KolibriOS. ...
    UPDATE:
    New card is installed. New card is working, able to go online.
    SCR_1-x.PNG
    SCR_1-x.PNG (32.05 KiB)
    Viewed 10046 times
    I just ordered another card with another Realtek chipset. According to MFG that chipset is RTL8168E. Hopefully this can work better. Also got new RAM, since the box has mismatched RAM chips and only needs 4GB to reach maximum memory.
    2022-03-02-1432-Screenshot.png
    2022-03-02-1432-Screenshot.png (44 KiB)
    Viewed 10110 times