Wyse SX0 GeodeGX500 Realtek ALC655

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Hmm. Looks like the code in a5535 is not longer used as driver. Left over from Menuet?
  • Hi, DreamZ80
    DreamZ80 wrote:Hmm. Looks like the code in a5535 is not longer used as driver. Left over from Menuet?
    For sure not, it is much newer http://websvn.kolibrios.org/log.php?rep ... 2F&isdir=1&

And it must work... hm... could you please try a distro with driver from this period http://builds.kolibrios.org/eng/history/ from 2010 - 2012? Will it work for you?

----
    I am an app developer so I can not help you some deep core-kernel issues.

Regards,
    Kiril
    Из хаоса в космос
  • I tried a couple. But the oldest date is Feb, 4th 2013. Tried two "2012" from archive.org. The yellow speaker icon has a red X over it. USB mouse, for this device, does not work. I can run ac97snd, but nothing shows up in "debug board". Will try older ones from archive.org.
  • Tried one from mid 2010 (archive.org). The speaker icon had a red X.

Does mean unavailable or mute?

Tested this with some linux to make sure audio actually worked, on the board I own. It does work.
  • ac97snd won't run without any param.
    What you need is to insert any mp3 file for example the file from attachement in the img and run:
    /rd/1/media/ac97snd /rd/1/sine.mp3
    If no sound then check the Board.

By default /srd/1/drivers/sound.obj is loaded. In what file Geode driver is located? You have to raname this driver into sound.obj and retry.

You can try it with your distros from archive or use these ones:
    Lets try http://builds.kolibrios.org/eng/history/svn3224-img.7z
    And http://board.kolibrios.org/download/file.php?id=3586 (Jul 2012, sorry it is in Russian)
    Attachments
    SINE.MP3 (5.06 KiB)
    Downloaded 153 times
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Leency wrote:ac97snd won't run without any param.
    What you need is to insert any mp3 file for example the file from attachement in the img and run:
    /rd/1/media/ac97snd /rd/1/sine.mp3
    If no sound then check the Board.
    This is the output from kolibri_n8.zip (thank you for the upload).

Code: Select all

detect hardware
    device not found
    HDA test version 018 pci_dump + beeper
    detect hardware
    device not found
    sound service is not loaded
    sound service is not installed

By default /srd/1/drivers/sound.obj is loaded. In what file Geode driver is located? You have to raname this driver into sound.obj and retry.
    Please forgive me, I have not described this very well. When I looked at code in a5536 folder, it looks like it would make it's own driver file. But I have not found one.

I did not build it myself, either.
    sorry it is in Russian
    No problem. It won't hurt to get more familiar. ;)
  • Am I wrong to think that a5536 folder is not used (anymore)?

Devid 0x2093 is in geode.c. But is is not in sound.asm.

I do not think sound.sys does anything with code from a5536 folder.

I did look at code in a5536 folder closer. The geode.c file does many things to initialize the codec.
    Also there is a geode.bin file. It is an interesting file to have there.
    If you examine it, it ends with:

@sound^@/rd/1/drivers/geode.drv^@

• I also looked closer into drivers/audio/a5536
    It looks like we have to build the driver using "geode.bat" and then load it using binary compiled from "geode.asm" (it has f68.21 - load driver PE).
    What is super-weird I didn't find anywhere the binary of geode.drv/geode.dll on SVN/FTP/this forum...

So as I said we have to build it.
    Из хаоса в космос
  • OH SHIT! I HAVE FOUND IT!
    https://code.google.com/archive/p/kolibri-pe/downloads => a5536-rc3.7z !

Please try it on the lastest distro. Put files into /sys/drivers folder.
    It it won't work on the latest distro then try the older ones.
    Из хаоса в космос
  • :shock:

Well, Leency.... You solved it!

Put geode in /rd1/1, geode.drv in /rd1/1/drivers, and then add /SYS/GEODE "" to /rd1/1/settings/Autorun.dat; early enough to load the driver before /SYS/@VOLUME. I added it right after /SYS/SETUP.

Output from Board:

AMD Geode CS3356 audio driver
    codec id 0x7C 414C 0x7E 4760

Pixie plays sine.mp3

Play file /rd/1/SINE.MP3

And there is sound!

Even sdlquake has working audio.

Volume is loaded, but it does not change or mute audio (better than no sound :) ).

This is tested on new Kolibri.
    Good work Leency!
  • DreamZ80
    Excellent news! I must add this driver into ISO and DRVINSTALL app (SYSPANEL => Driver Install).
    Will do it tomorrow. Nice day. :D
    Volume is loaded, but it does not change or mute audio (better than no sound :) ).
    Hm... it must be investigated. Probably read forum old posts on this point, check driver source...
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Leency wrote:DreamZ80
    Excellent news! I must add this driver into ISO and DRVINSTALL app (SYSPANEL => Driver Install).
    Will do it tomorrow. Nice day. :D
    That's fast 8)
    Hm... it must be investigated. Probably read forum old posts on this point, check driver source...
    Sound works! That is better than I was even asking. :D

I think geode.c uses the same controls as in ac97.asm. I could probably make a personal hack to control volume. I'm not sure, maybe with infinity.asm? One day, when I know what I am doing :oops:, I could write something to initialize the codec in asm. Then add to sound.asm, codec.inc, and maybe ac97.asm a little something to handle the chip like normal.

I have to say, things have turned out better than I expected.

At first I was hoping someone could give advice on what code I needed to play with, to get it working. Now, after looking around, I am more familiar with how this part of Kolibri works.

So I thought I would have to write, or modify, a driver for audio. I would have gotten around to it eventually. But now it is available to anyone! Much better than waiting on me, to wrap my head around things.
  • Yep, it would be nice if AMD Geode driver:
    - could be automatically loaded by sound.sys if appropriate device detected
    - be recompiled for a smaller size. The source of Geode driver itself is VERY small so I don't understand why is its binary so big (5.5 KB packed, 10.5 unpacked). Probably because it was build with newlib. If we could make it smaller then we may add it into IMG.

P.S. There is an unfinished Internet radio you may interest into http://board.kolibrios.org/viewtopic.php?p=74708#p74708
    Maybe I have to add flac/ogg/aac support in Pixie as well...
    Из хаоса в космос
  • DreamZ80

I've added driver into ISO. You can find it in SYSPANEL => DriverInstall.
    Please check if the driver is working for you.

Also now it can be run from any place. Just the runner and driver must have the same name and put together.
    Из хаоса в космос