What's the goal?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Sorry, but I'm not from Soviet Russia and can't read this.
  • DigDug wrote:Sorry, but I'm not from Soviet Russia and can't read this.
    but you can use google translate..
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.
  • Why does NetSurf have a much higher priority than Firefox? Netsurf is very limiited in that it doesn't support JavaScript and almost all websites require this today for proper functioning.

If I were you I'd give top priority to porting Firefox or some other mainline browser.
  • Netsurf easy to port, firefox "in dreams"
  • So I assume you want to make a desktop operating system that can compete with Windows, Mac OS X or Linux?

I admire your skill and bravery, but I believe it's an exercise in futility, much like Wine (the Windows re-implementation on Linux). You could spend years trying to get to the point where the feature set is a MVP (mimimal viable product) compared to Windows.

Why not try to occupy a niche? Like a minimal desktop client for RDP (remote desktop protocol) or an ultra-small server operating system focused on webservers or cloud. Or an IoT operating system. Or a router operating system.
    Last edited by DigDug on Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • maxcodehack wrote:Netsurf easy to port, firefox "in dreams"
    But can you at least port a version of Netsurf which has JavaScript support?
  • DigDug wrote:Why not try to occupy a niche?
    We can use KolibriOS in BIOS, and other:
    See http://board.kolibrios.org/viewforum.php?f=25
    Use translater)
  • DigDug wrote: If the goal is to show that with assembly you can build a graphical, superfast and small relatively complete desktop operating system, then it has already succeeded.
    Now it is difficult to call it a full-fledged operating system, because to run it on a PC, you need either a virtual machine, or need old computer with floppy drive or need "dancing with a tambourine".
    2004: Kolibri OS - Operating system that fits on a single floppy disk (Система которая умещается на дискете).
    2020: Kolibri OS - Operating system that can only be run under Virtual machine (Система которую можно запустить только на виртуальной машине).
  • Very easy use KolibriOS on HDD, CD or flash drive.
    Floppy is exotic now)
  • maxcodehack wrote:Very easy use KolibriOS ... flash drive.
    I'm try to run it on UEFI "Yes" very "easy"...

http://board.kolibrios.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3270
    dunkaist wrote:
    1. Create GPT layout on your flash device.
    2. Create EFI System Partition (ESP) on it.
    3. Format ESP as FAT32.
    4. Make /EFI/BOOT directory on ESP.
    5. Edit kolibri.ini file according to your needs.
    6. Copy kolibri.efi as /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.
    7. Copy kolibri.{krn,img.ini} files to /EFI/BOOT/.
    8. Optionally, copy DEVICES.DAT file to /EFI/BOOT/.
    Files kolibri.* and DEVICES.DAT are mentioned in the above posts.
    2004: Kolibri OS - Operating system that fits on a single floppy disk (Система которая умещается на дискете).
    2020: Kolibri OS - Operating system that can only be run under Virtual machine (Система которую можно запустить только на виртуальной машине).
  • Thats not work. And im not have Linux for install Kolibrios...
  • I'm run it in VirtualBox 5.22... Sadly but these are the realities.