Is it possible to have KolibriOS for everyday use?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • I'd really appreciate if someone could help me
  • qoniq wrote:I found an old DVD-R at home which used to contain films, but I deleted all the data on it so it has just 500Mb of free space. Can I use this to boot the OS?
    Yes, you can. Use the latest ISO, burn it to CD/DVD like you do for any other OS.
    qoniq wrote:If you have any suggestions with programs for booting, Kolibri and related things, these would be really pleasing to me.
    Almost all the programs available for KolibriOS are shipped on ISO, so you don't have to look for and install anything from the internet.
    qoniq wrote:I was wondering whether Kolibri OS could be suitable for everyday use (whic means surfing the net, reading e-mails, writing some notes and so on, basic things).
    For web we have Netsurf, for email Liza, for notes Notes. It's for you to decide if it's enough.
  • I'll surely give it a try, that looks promising. Does it save things on the Hard Disk or on the RAM?
  • There is RDSAVE program on the desktop to save contents of the ram disk to a file manually.
  • qoniq wrote:I was wondering whether Kolibri OS could be suitable for everyday use (whic means surfing the net, reading e-mails, writing some notes and so on, basic things).
    For web we have Netsurf, for email Liza

I have installed the italian version (I'm italian) on a virtual machine with the help of a friend, and I'm trying Kolibri with rodiculous amounts of RAM (64mb) and it works really well - to be honest, I'm surprised. That is amazing.
    But I have some problems too: I can't find Liza anywhere.
    Another question: I can't have proper web surfing. It keeps looking up stuff in Russian and it collapses everytime I do a word search with Ctrl+Enter. The window just disappears. I tried to give the system 128Mbs of ram but that didn't work. Netsurf keeps disappearing when I scroll down, and I can find no icon once downloaded it from nsinstall.
    I hope it can be solved and I want to know more about Kolibri because I'm really enjoying its speed and smoothness.
  • Liza binary can be found here. It turned to not be in ISO, I don't know why (I'm not the author).
    Perhaps, questions about Liza should go to its topic.
    qoniq wrote:I can't have proper web surfing. It keeps looking up stuff in Russian
    Well, I managed to change that starting page by following links but I confirm that you can't just type in a URL and press <enter>.
    k.png
    k.png (176.1 KiB)
    Viewed 10248 times
    qoniq wrote:it collapses everytime I do a word search with Ctrl+Enter. The window just disappears. I tried to give the system 128Mbs of ram but that didn't work. Netsurf keeps disappearing when I scroll down
    Unfortunately, ashmew2 (the author) didn't visit this board for more than a year, so don't expect a fast fix.
    qoniq wrote:I can find no icon once downloaded it from nsinstall.
    There is no icon, only the binary itself at /tmp0/1/.
  • > It keeps looking up stuff in Russian and it collapses everytime I do a word search with Ctrl+Enter.
    I will fix it soon.
    Из хаоса в космос
  • qoniq wrote: Another question: I can't have proper web surfing. It keeps looking up stuff in Russian and it collapses everytime I do a word search with Ctrl+Enter. The window just disappears. I tried to give the system 128Mbs of ram but that didn't work.
    I have fixed WebView crash on Ctrl+Enter. Please download the latest version or you can update your browser directly in Kolibri https://prnt.sc/sm1gx1
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Leency wrote:
    qoniq wrote: Another question: I can't have proper web surfing. It keeps looking up stuff in Russian and it collapses everytime I do a word search with Ctrl+Enter. The window just disappears. I tried to give the system 128Mbs of ram but that didn't work.
    I have fixed WebView crash on Ctrl+Enter. Please download the latest version or you can update your browser directly in Kolibri https://prnt.sc/sm1gx1
    Thanks. I'm gonna check it out right now :)
  • dunkaist wrote:Liza binary can be found here. It turned to not be in ISO, I don't know why (I'm not the author).
    Perhaps, questions about Liza should go to its topic.
    qoniq wrote:I can't have proper web surfing. It keeps looking up stuff in Russian
    Well, I managed to change that starting page by following links but I confirm that you can't just type in a URL and press <enter>.

k.png
    qoniq wrote:it collapses everytime I do a word search with Ctrl+Enter. The window just disappears. I tried to give the system 128Mbs of ram but that didn't work. Netsurf keeps disappearing when I scroll down
    Unfortunately, ashmew2 (the author) didn't visit this board for more than a year, so don't expect a fast fix.
    qoniq wrote:I can find no icon once downloaded it from nsinstall.
    There is no icon, only the binary itself at /tmp0/1/.
    thanks for the infos and the time you spent to help me. I really appreciate
  • My answer would be: NO.

Although KolibriOS is very impressive, it's not usable for day to day work. Biggest drawback is that the web browser (Netsurf) isn't really usable since it doesn't support JavaScript, and these days almost ALL websites use and need JavaScript.
  • DigDug wrote:My answer would be: NO.
    My own answer is "surely yes"

- I use Kolibri-A at work virtually every day
    as a h/w testbench
    for new hardware development and verification
  • DigDug wrote:My answer would be: NO.

Although KolibriOS is very impressive, it's not usable for day to day work. Biggest drawback is that the web browser (Netsurf) isn't really usable since it doesn't support JavaScript, and these days almost ALL websites use and need JavaScript.
    It is difficult to expect much from the system if there is not even NTFS support... :?
    But the worst thing is that it is difficult to run on real hardware. :?
    JavaScript is not the biggest problem. The OS was created in assembler and as I understand it created for assembler : Education, Hardware exploration ... etc. 8)

DOS is too old to learn Assembly language. IMHO on Windows, learning assembler is also not very convenient.
    2004: Kolibri OS - Operating system that fits on a single floppy disk (Система которая умещается на дискете).
    2020: Kolibri OS - Operating system that can only be run under Virtual machine (Система которую можно запустить только на виртуальной машине).
  • Evgeniy

1) NTFS is supported in KolibriOS.

2) it easily runs on a real h/w

3) beeing an electronic engineer, I know how difficult it is to find a good open-source exokernel OS for PC
    (many teams are still using MS DOS as an exoOS!!).
    But I know some companies who choose Kolibri as a most convenient platform for their hardware-related projects