Google Summer of Code 2014

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • А пошли они.
    Всем чмоки в этом проекте! Засуньте эти 11 лет себе в жопу!
  • Mario_r4 wrote:А пошли они.
    Да ладно, чего там - подам заявку. Максимум - откажут :-)
    Пишут, что в 2014 году примут на 10 организаций больше, чем когда-либо раньше (т.е. 190) - может, и нам повезёт.
    http://google-opensource.blogspot.co.il ... ummer.html
    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/docu ... tions_does
  • Maybe the next year we can have our place.
  • If we want to apply as a mentoring organisation for the Google summer of code 2014, we'll need to sort some things out.
    I have copied last years page, and removed the items that were finished last year.
    http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/Google_s ... _code_2014

Is there anyone who already had plans to do an item on the list ?
    Are all mentors still available? Or Is there anybody new that wishes to become a mentor?
    New project ideas perhaps?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • IMHO, first of all, we need to make new release of Kolibri, based on results of 2013KSoC, before new SoC.
  • Any volunteers on updating data/*/docs/README.TXT and data/*/docs/INSTALL.TXT for "new release of Kolibri"?
    Сделаем мир лучше!
  • CleverMouse wrote:Any volunteers on updating data/*/docs/README.TXT ?
    If everybody writes about his own realisations, it should not be such a big task.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • Need a new version that did not consider the project dead!
    Нужна новая версия, чтобы не считали проект мертвым!
  • Wildwest wrote:IMHO, first of all, we need to make new release of Kolibri, based on results of 2013KSoC, before new SoC.
    IMHO, first of all, the obvious bugs have to be fixed, before a new version is released.
    Now every developer concentrates on adding new features rather than fixing bugs. Because adding features is fun, and fixing bugs is not fun.
  • yogev_ezra wrote:
    Wildwest wrote:IMHO, first of all, we need to make new release of Kolibri, based on results of 2013KSoC, before new SoC.
    IMHO, first of all, the obvious bugs have to be fixed, before a new version is released.
    Now every developer concentrates on adding new features rather than fixing bugs. Because adding features is fun, and fixing bugs is not fun.
    I try to fix all bugs assigned to me on the bugtracker, but there are almost none.. Does that mean my job is done? :lol:
  • 16/01/2014 EDIT by yogev_ezra: удалил оффтоп.

Зачем оффтопить? Надо шаг за шагом уточнить действия до Google SOC - делать релиз или нет, если делать, то уже думать про доработки и документацию. Потом уже можно обсудить темы для кодирования, менторов, студентов и рекламу, чтобы завлечь студентов...
  • Приём заявок для организаций на GSoC 2014 начался сегодня, 3 февраля, и закончится 14 февраля. Новый релиз для подачи заявки абсолютно не нужен, но нужны 2 администратора и хотя бы 2 ментора. Ментор и администратор могут быть одни и те же люди. Пока у нас есть только 1 администратор (я) и вообще нет менторов. Если в ближайшую неделю больше никто не изъявит желание записаться как администратор или как ментор, то я в этом году заявку подавать не буду.
  • I can be a mentor for "Filesystem support" task. I have some experience in fs programming and I'm familiar with related kernel structures. It is common to see me online as well.

However I'd prefer to change "* Add XFS write support" task to "* Add UDF read/write support" because:
    • UDF is used on DVD media and so it is more important feature for users;
    • UDF is used for universal boot images (cd, usb) by other OSes, which is also desirable KolibriOS feature;
    • There is not enough developers even for primary tasks, it is not ok to have two of them working on XFS (considered exotic);
    • Implementing writing without reading is much harder, I don't think such a task can attract students (anyway, there is NTFS).
    I'll update wiki page if nobody objects.
  • dunkaist wrote:I can be a mentor for "Filesystem support" task. I have some experience in fs programming and I'm familiar with related kernel structures. It is common to see me online as well.

However I'd prefer to change "* Add XFS write support" task to "* Add UDF read/write support" because:
    • UDF is used on DVD media and so it is more important feature for users;
    • UDF is used for universal boot images (cd, usb) by other OSes, which is also desirable KolibriOS feature;
    • There is not enough developers even for primary tasks, it is not ok to have two of them working on XFS (considered exotic);
    • Implementing writing without reading is much harder, I don't think such a task can attract students (anyway, there is NTFS).
    I'll update wiki page if nobody objects.
    That is a great idea.