Sells and donation

Events from the world of KolibriOS and its developers
  • Bonuino,
    • KolibriOS is licenced under GPLv2 (mostly),
    • You must distribute your derivative work under GPLv2,
    • You must share modified source together with binaries,
    • You can't take money for KolibriOS code or modified code, but you can take money for your work of modification, translation, building etc.,
    • It would be great if you don't fork KolibriOS but integrate your language in it. It's up to you, of course.
  • KolibriOS is licenced under GPLv2 (mostly),

ok

You must distribute your derivative work under GPLv2,

I see

You must share modified source together with binaries,

no problems.

You can't take money for KolibriOS code or modified code, but you can take money for your work of modification, translation, building etc.,

I understand, but how does it work? For exemple, I modify some file, send this file to you guys and some one of Kolibrios pay me?

It would be great if you don't fork KolibriOS but integrate your language in it. It's up to you, of course.

Sure, I want help you guys. But there is a problem. Brazilians are not very comfortable reading programs and commentary in English. The programs, all right, just integrate the Portuguese language. But the comments in the source code... I could put English and Portuguese together, but I don't know if it would be too loaded. I want to translate the comments also to encourage Brazilian programmers. A bolder thought I have is to translate from assembly code to something similar to freebasic. I see a lot of people saying that assembly is too complicated.
  • I hope you understand that the native language of most developers is not English? Your desire is generally extremely strange. For example, I don't know English at all. And haven't experienced any problems yet.
    Изобретайте колёса каждый раз, когда хотите написать новую программу.
  • Bonuino wrote:You can't take money for KolibriOS code or modified code, but you can take money for your work of modification, translation, building etc.,

I understand, but how does it work? For exemple, I modify some file, send this file to you guys and some one of Kolibrios pay me?
    As always, to sell something you first have to find somebody to buy it. The specific mechanism (money-first or code-first) is to be negotiated between those two sides. I'm personally not ready to pay for translation, sorry.
    Bonuino wrote:It would be great if you don't fork KolibriOS but integrate your language in it. It's up to you, of course.

Sure, I want help you guys. But there is a problem. Brazilians are not very comfortable reading programs and commentary in English. The programs, all right, just integrate the Portuguese language. But the comments in the source code... I could put English and Portuguese together, but I don't know if it would be too loaded. I want to translate the comments also to encourage Brazilian programmers.
    Adding comments in any language other than English is not acceptable for the kernel. For your own programs, nobody can stop you from using any language for code and comments.
    Bonuino wrote:A bolder thought I have is to translate from assembly code to something similar to freebasic. I see a lot of people saying that assembly is too complicated.
    This actually means rewritting the whole system. Years of work, results of which are not clear to me. If assembly language is an issue for you, take a look at Linux: it is written in C, which is considered to be more human-readable, and many programs of Linux distros have Portuguese translation.
  • Bonuino
    1) why "Meltom" ?

2) you can sell your version of our system (if somebody's ready to pay for it),
    but note that
    a) any KolibriOS' code you borrow, modify, improve or adopt must be published somewhere in open domain, with a clear link to its original source;
    b) you should keep (C)KolibriOS and (C)MenuetOS copyright signs and any disclaimers related to the code you borrow/publish/distribute.

- otherwise you may be legally prosecuted for breaching our IP and/or your licence

3) you may (or may not) donate some money to KolibriOS team members,
    but such a donation will not automatically mean a permit to break conditions 2a) and 2b)

4) theoretically, your licence may be changed (personally for you)
    - if you contact all KolibriOS developers (including those who left the project 15 years ago)
    and get everyone's signed permit :lol:

5) wish you a great commercial success!
  • I'm glad to hear that you're interested in contributing to the Kolibrios project and providing a localized version for Brazilian users. As you mentioned, forwarding bug reports and suggestions to the Kolibrios team is a good approach. This way,fnf you can contribute to the improvement of both Meltom and Kolibrios.