Can't get KolibriOS to work on 386

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • KolibriOS use some processor registers not supported by 386SX. Such processor registers was added only in Pentium 2.

And... 32 bit modes in Kolibri should work faster then EGA and VGA. If I'm not mistaken.
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Was there any reason to lose compatibility with 386??
  • Yes, it was. New processor registers gave Kolibri new functionality. For details we should wait Mario, diamond or someone else, who knows better.
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Kolibri uses some processor commands (like CPUID/RDTSC/RDMSR/WRMSR) and features appeared in Pentium (may be last 486). Support for older processors will lead to a senselessly deterioration in performance.
  • Ghost wrote:Kolibri uses some processor commands (like CPUID/RDTSC/RDMSR/WRMSR) and features appeared in Pentium (may be last 486).
    No, Kolibri on 486 processors with 40Mhz and 8Mb RAM, don't work too. Tested by me personally.
  • Last 486 it`s IntelDX4, IntelSX, Cx486SLC.
  • Well that's disappointing.
    I have this old 386 machine, and I wanted to run something other than Windows 3.
  • Try Damn Small Linux and similar....
  • Nope. DSL also requires a 486.

Do any of the older iterations of Kolibri run on a 386? Where would I find them?
  • Из хаоса в космос
  • Why not make the assembler code of the OS multi-CPU compatible and thus multi-target capable?

Aren't there assemblers available that allow to use different subprograms to build the binary code depending on the CPU processor used?
    With such an assembler, you could replace these Pentium assembler instructions with instructions known by the 386 and have a CPU specific subroutine for Pentiums with these instructions and 386 without these instructions.

It's such a big loss when it's not possible to run Kolibri OS on older processors, at least 386 and higher.
    I can understand not wanting to support the 286 as most don't have enough RAM anyway and the 286 doesn't support paging. But with the capable 386 it looks different.

Kolibi OS would be ideal for using Kolibri OS to exchange files on a computer that is mainly used for DOS. Kolibri OS is network capable and can read from USB sticks and CD-ROMs. I also assume it's capable of writing data on CD-R. It will also continue to receive security fixes and it fits on a 1,4 MiB floppy. And the memory requirements are small. Although it would of course make sense here to reduce the requirements from 8 MB to 4 or better 2 MB.

All these features could make it an ideal tool for 386 machines and DOS users when it comes to sharing files between other computers.

It is a great pity that this opportunity is not used. Because especially on the newer computers with a lot of RAM you have powerful operating systems like Linux available. I personally have no need for Kolibri OS on these computers. But on the 486 it would be a great asset if it ran there.
  • bugmenot wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:46 pm But on the 486 it would be a great asset if it ran there.
    Kolibri svn9522 - хак для 80486
  • bugmenot wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:46 pm Why not make the assembler code of the OS multi-CPU compatible and thus multi-target capable?

Aren't there assemblers available that allow to use different subprograms to build the binary code depending on the CPU processor used?
    With such an assembler, you could replace these Pentium assembler instructions with instructions known by the 386 and have a CPU specific subroutine for Pentiums with these instructions and 386 without these instructions.

It's such a big loss when it's not possible to run Kolibri OS on older processors, at least 386 and higher.
    I can understand not wanting to support the 286 as most don't have enough RAM anyway and the 286 doesn't support paging. But with the capable 386 it looks different.

Kolibi OS would be ideal for using Kolibri OS to exchange files on a computer that is mainly used for DOS. Kolibri OS is network capable and can read from USB sticks and CD-ROMs. I also assume it's capable of writing data on CD-R. It will also continue to receive security fixes and it fits on a 1,4 MiB floppy. And the memory requirements are small. Although it would of course make sense here to reduce the requirements from 8 MB to 4 or better 2 MB.

All these features could make it an ideal tool for 386 machines and DOS users when it comes to sharing files between other computers.

It is a great pity that this opportunity is not used. Because especially on the newer computers with a lot of RAM you have powerful operating systems like Linux available. I personally have no need for Kolibri OS on these computers. But on the 486 it would be a great asset if it ran there.
    I share this notion — but OTOH I understand that maintaining multi-target code would require more work invested. But maybe the „lowest common denominator” could be 486? If — from what I see above — making Kolibri to run on 486 requires just two-three „hacks”, perhaps it would be good idea? Having dual-booted older 486 machine as DOS-Kolibri looks as a nice perspective to me. :) And there is plenty of old 486 machines around, it seems to be a wide „market” for Kolibri.