What's the goal?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Agree, Ubuntu has become rather bloated of late.

I have been using 'Puppy Linux' on a small underpowered laptop (700MHz) for almost a decade, and it runs very well. Boots from SD rather slow (about a minute). I am using a really old version (which suits me - I use it for word processing). The old version I have can't auto-update the web browser (Opera?) so I can no longer use it on modern web sites (the encryption standards / certificates are too new).

All that said, I believe the latest versions of Puppy Linux are about the same size (approx 250MB) and are capable of much better things (work on latest hardware, use latest software).

HOWEVER, my interest in Kolibri is as an ULTRA-small GUI OS. Fast to boot - faster than MSDOS 3.2 was back in the day... with my intent to run it on even more ridiculously underpowered hardware (400MHz 486).

I think my only complaint is that modern embedded hardware moved away from the x86 processor architecture long ago, and because Kolibri is ASM, to my knowledge it will forever be stuck on x86 platforms - which are becoming rarer by the day (good riddance to that platform, sad that it's going to take Kolibri with it)

Cheers,
  • ....and because Kolibri is ASM, to my knowledge it will forever be stuck on x86 platforms.
    I use Kolibri on x64 i5 2th gen, hdd acces via bios, sound OK, usb, 1080x1920 - honey and nuts - ... runs better and see better hardware than some other OSes. 8)
  • Apologies - I should have been a bit more specific... I should have said x86 derived platforms, which from my understanding, the x64 is.

My comment comes from a question posed several years back about whether Kolibri would run on a Raspberri Pi - the answer being 'no', because Ras-Pi was based on an ARM platform.

I am not into 'enough-power-to-run-a-small-town' processors, and the Pi seems like something with enough grunt to run some pretty cool stuff, but not so much it needs a honkin' great heatsink with whirling fans of death bolted to it, or heatpipes from hell to keep it cool. With the speed users now expect of their hardware, I would have thought 'low end' devices like the Pi would have been a pretty obvious target for Kolibri.

But then ARM would have been a pretty small player when Kolibri was first forked (and I note Menuet is still an x86 / x64 based OS).

I agree, there is no sign of x64 ever dying in the desktop market, and probably the same for laptops too. But not tablets or phones. Although there have been significant advances in power consumption embedded devices gave away x86/x64 long ago because of their huge power requirements, and once some other CPUs got in, Intel and AMD have continued to lose ground. Well, from what I've seen anyway :wink:

Cheers,

PS: That's why hell is so hot - all those heatpipes have to go somewhere!!
  • I see Kolibri as nice small(I mean really small, like practically not consuming storage space at all! Also not making the filesystem more bloated with a big number of files.) and instant-boot alternate/backup OS that can causally sit on memory sticks, CD/DVD, as files on harddisks or whatever.

Allways ready to boot and, for example, quickly inspect the contents of some computer (or storage media connected to it) (including reading/watching/listening the files within) and some system info about it. Regardless of what is the state of it's main operating system (or is it present at all)!

And just very cool to think that my memory sticks and CD/DVD can be like "self powered" - it does'nt mather what is or is'nt on the computer, I can allways browse the files, watch my pictures, listen some music and play some "snake" from them at any computer, new or old (ideally)!

------------------------------------------------------
    Vaguely connected linux rant:

Puppy linux have been my favorite linux distro for long time but it is started to get bigger and more bloated (for it's "category"). Ofc it's never really been negligble sise, like Kolibri. I remember when it was like ~60MB and started quite quicly, even on old stuff.
    And last I chacked, I did'nt like the look of it anymore with all the "must be modern" (including MacOS inspired) visual designs - what is even less "productive" many times - like harder to find diferent stuff, needs "more clicks" to get to your destination (especially the more advenced stuff) and so on.

Linux is not so easy to personalise to (I mean outside of the "dumbuser" options that could be provided) - I never liked the "porridge and cabbage" (as we say here in estonia) feel of i'ts filesystem - "millions" of files and folders and subfolders and hardlinks and softlinks and mountpoints and "device files" and special script files and special config files and... arrgh :D

Many files/folders with few-letter (not really meaningfull) names and no extensions (file type/action is determined by some flags in the filesystem or somth.?), programs not contained in their own folder("portable programs") but spread around in the system file/folder "abyss".

No really a standard "linux executable" as I understand but each distro (and maybe even a version of it) has to have program compiled especially for it.
    The "app store" approatch can be conveinent for dumbusers but I morally don't like being dependent on a certain service (or even internet) to get my programs and stuff.