POLL Git or Github?

Total votes: 17
Git
53%
Github
18%
Other
29%

• Если выбираете other пишите сообщение в котором пишите что именно хотите.
  • Предлагаю:
    https://notabug.org/
    https://codeberg.org/
    Русскоязычный администратор:
    https://git.macaw.me/

Связь с ним: XMPP/Jabber

Все работают на основе Gitea.
    На мой взгляд - удобно и симпатично.
    Быстрый способ связаться со мной: XMPP/Jabber
  • Hi,

I created a git copy of the svn repo on our server.
    Also, I made its read-only mirror on github: https://github.com/KolibriOS/kolibrios

At the moment, the git repo is not synchronized with svn and svn is still our main repo.

The reason for this post is to discuss two following questions before transition.
    As XVilka mentioned in this thread, it is possible during conversion to map short svn usernames to "Full Name <your_email@mail.address>" in commit log.
    In theory, as a board administrator I can get all the emails (okay, most of them) from the board database.
    In practice, these emails are not public. Therefore, committing them to a public repo is not a good idea.
    Similar situation with full names. Quite a few of them are available in ostin-project but their legal status is unknown to me. mike.dld, any hint?

So, as a rule of thumb, do reply to this thread with your full name and email address if you want them to be included in the git commit log.
    If you are happy with just your svn username in the commit log, no action required from you.

I intentionally named the main git branch trunk so far. It is for you to look at, and for you to propose (or better apply) reasonable changes to the structure and history of the repo. Eventually, changes of the history will be frozen and the main branch will become main.
    Again, if you are okay with the history, no action required.

What will happen next.
    I plan to leave our main repo and other infrastructure on our server. Github will be a read-only mirror.
    When transition is finished, access to the repo will be via ssh keys only, passwords will not be allowed.

I believe the transition will take months. So, no hurry at all.
    Again, for now just continue using svn as you always do and look into git only if you are interested.

Thank you,
    Ivan
  • Great job. Do you have plans to use some web interface for git on kolibrios.org?
    to infinity and beyond
  • punk_joker wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:24 pmGreat job.
    Thank you. Nice to see you!

punk_joker wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:24 pmDo you have plans to use some web interface for git on kolibrios.org?
    Yes, I do. I'm not so good at supporting infrastructure on our server but I plan to set up gitea eventually. Not gitweb, not github but something in the middle.
  • Similar situation with full names. Quite a few of them are available in ostin-project but their legal status is unknown to me. mike.dld, any hint?
    I don't really remember but I'd say most (all?) names and emails that are there were obtained from public sources, so I don't see any issues with their use. That file you link to in particular has as its very first line "This is a collection of notices previously located in source files' headers." so I'd assume that's there they came from...
    in code we trust
  • mike.dld wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:46 pm I don't really remember but I'd say most (all?) names and emails that are there were obtained from public sources, so I don't see any issues with their use. That file you link to in particular has as its very first line "This is a collection of notices previously located in source files' headers." so I'd assume that's there they came from...
    Well, looks like I paid more attention to the names than to the header :? . Thank you for clarification, then we have most of the names/emails known.