Is there any way to save boot setting "Add disks visible by BIOS"?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • It depends on how you boot KolibriOS: kolibri.img/kolibri.iso, grub, anything else?

I expect that the loader you are using doesn't support saving settings (it asks if it supports).
    But may be there is another way to boot KolibriOS on your PC, let's see.
  • Thanks for your response.
    I am booting off of a USB drive that I made bootable by using HD_Load\USB_Boot\inst.exe and HD_Load\USB_Boot\setmbr.exe and then I copied kolibri.img to the USB drive.
    Is it not possible to save the boot options when using this method?
  • garbb wrote:Is it not possible to save the boot options when using this method?
    It is possible to have config.ini file on the flash to override values of some settings.

You will need a loader that is not shipped in the distro by default and therefore you have to do more manual work:
    1. Get contents of USB_Boot dir as usual.
    2. Get bootsect.bin file and save it as BOOT_F32.BIN (replace original BOOT_F32.BIN).
    3. Get kernel.mnt.ext_loader file and save it as kernel.mnt.
    4. Get kordldr.f32 file.
    5. Get kolibri.img file.
    6. Run inst.exe and setmbr.exe as usual.
    7. Copy obtained kordldr.f32, kernel.mnt, kolibri.img and attached config.ini files to the flash.
    It is not tested properly, so, please, report issues, if any, with [c] option set on the blue screen.
    Attachments
    config.ini (22 Bytes)
    Downloaded 224 times
  • Thank you for creating this.

When I followed your instructions the boot menu appeared with the "Add disks visible by BIOS" setting set to on, unfortunately after the 3 second timeout the computer rebooted itself.
    I turned on option [c] and I saw some small text appear on the screen very quickly and then the computer rebooted itself again

Code: Select all

Setting OS task    K : HPET caps 8086A701
                       K : using mwait for idle loop
  • I finally prepared a single raw image with this new loader for flash cards.
    You can write it with e.g. Rawwrite32 tool.

Like for any other raw image, writing it will destroy all the data on the flash card. So make sure you don't have any important info there.

I have never seen the failure you described before.
    If this new image will not boot, then we will have to do several more iterations to locate the issue.
  • Unfortunately, when booting that image the behavior is the same on my laptop.
    • Write this image to the flash. It is *.gz compressed file, but you don't need to uncompress it because rawwrite does it automatically.
    • Boot with [c] option enabled.
    • Messages like '### 0' , '### 1' will be printed slowly. I need to know the last number printed just before reboot.
    If the messages are running too slow or fast, let me know.
    If you can provide all the numbers printed (as text, photo or video) -- great.
  • Thank you for your assistance with this!

The last number printed before reboot was K : ### 8
  • The same image address (I have updated the file) and instructions as above:
    dunkaist wrote:
    • Write this image to the flash. It is *.gz compressed file, but you don't need to uncompress it because rawwrite does it automatically.
    • Boot with [c] option enabled.
    • Messages like '### 0' , '### 1' will be printed slowly. I need to know the last number printed just before reboot.
  • With this image it repeated the counting from "K : ### 1" to "K : ### 4" seven times and then it booted into kolibrios OK.
    I tried again with option [c] turned on and option [d] turned off so that it would display more text and recorded a video. I tried to attach the video to this post but it did not work, I think maybe the file is too big?
    I uploaded it here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 0428826508
  • Great! Thanks for the video.
    I committed the fix in r8119, the bug was introduced by me a week ago. So you are quite lucky to face it and fast to report it.

Now you can download the image, set options in /config.ini file and write it to the flash.
    Any other issues with this loader?
  • No, it seems to work great.
    Thank you for the time you took to fix this!