XFS

Drive subsystem, filesystem drivers
  • The only "writing" function which potentially can work at the moment is 70.8 (delete).

Current writing support is almost absent, that's why I asked for another month. If I had more or less working rw support, I'd not do it.

Thank you for testing, I will commit/upload stable/testing code when it's ready.
  • Just a question.
    Why folders do not contain special entry "." and why the root folder contains a special entry ".."?

From http://websvn.kolibrios.org/filedetails ... #line-3937:
    Any folder on the disk, except for root, contains two special
    entries "." and "..", identifying accordingly the folder itself
    and the parent folder.
  • I have hot week at the university. I will post my final report this weekend, and this will be the last one.
    Keep an eye on my ftp directory updates, sorry for inconvenience.
  • Current stable/unstable code is on svn and ftp. Test images are also uploaded.
    You can always use latest nightbuild to test stable code.
    yogev_ezra wrote:Any idea on when do you plan to commit read support to SVN? Your first salary is long overdue because it's pending that commit.
    Read only support is committed, but there is something to say. I refuse this salary. The reason in short is below.

Though I did work hard the first month on read XFS support, the last ones were largely ignored by me. So write support is obviously unsatisfactory (yes, I didn't promise it, but anyway). I think there is nothing to discuss about two last salaries.

KSoK ideas page shows that KolibriOS still lacks many more important features than yet another fs support. And I refuse the first salary because my work isn't done properly and as to more deserving people do those tasks in the future. I had written some code for KolibriOS not to make money (for fun) and I'll probably go this way with XFS.

My part of Summer of Code introduced new filesystem to our users, I think that's not bad result.

Thank you for your support and understanding,
    sorry for lack of writing support!
  • dunkaist wrote:Read only support is committed, but there is something to say. I refuse this salary. The reason in short is below.
    Read support for XFS is still much more than we had before (=nothing), and since you did work hard for at least a month, and did write a lot of code, it would be only fair that you receive at least 1/3 of the salary. I demand you accept this since otherwise I am going to be very disappointed.

As for the other 2/3 of the salary that was originally assigned to you, if you don't think you deserve it, we can spend it on other tasks from the ideas page (if there are people who are willing/able to do them). We can also use it as a buffer for other projects, in case we run a Kickstarter again.
  • dunkaist, is it possible to make xfs working again?
  • Yes, it is.
    My personal priority right now is to fix xsave/avx.

Also note that XFSv5 format is not supported.
  • Finally.

I committed proper XFS reading support in r7736.
    There are still many ways to improve the code. But the architecture is what, I believe, it should be.

What is supported: different sector, inode and fsblock sizes; holes in files; v4 (default in 2013) and v5 (default in 2020) disk formats.

I don't plan to implement writing to XFS because a) full support requires enormous amount of work for coding and testing and b) there are more important features that kolibri lacks.

Feel free to test and report.