Google Summer of Code 2015

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Thank you Art, thank you pathoswithin, appreciate your replies.

I fear that I have not been "in the loop", so, I am asking these questions in ignorance. Sorry if they seem intrusive, they are intended as harmless inquiries.

I guess that some folks are angry or insulted, and I hope that my questions here, are not interpreted as seeking to blame someone. I don't know anything about the "Big Fork".

I sincerely appreciate the efforts of both groups of developers, and I wish only the best for both groups, without taking sides one way or the other, in regard to "parents" or "first", or "best" or something like that. To me, both are "best".

In my opinion, the goal here, should be to amplify the points of merit of Kolibrios, rather than to dwell on past legal, or political matters. I am simply inquiring about the current status of Kolibrios, to learn whether it has reached the point where one could envision using it, productively.

I have in mind a small project, for which such an elegant solution as Kolibrios, could be well suited. On the other hand, if Kolibrios is not yet quite operational, and may need another year or two, to gain that capability, then my search for a solution should perhaps commence elsewhere.

A chart may already exist, and I may find it on a Wiki page, perhaps, outlining the features of Kolibrios which have already been implemented, and describing those components yet remaining for further effort, at some future date.

Apologies to your team, for employing the word, "parent", describing MeOS, it was not written intentionally, hoping to annoy, or cause irritation.

If it is not impolite, or perhaps this question is more appropriately issued as a private message, can you explain to me, why Ville regards the Kolibrios effort as "illegal"? When I encounter that word, I am thinking back, thirty years ago, when some of my material had been purloined by another. It is distressing. On the other hand, I tend, personally, to overreact to insults, and injuries, maybe Ville too had such an episode. I had a small conflict with one of the MeOs developers, nothing to write home to mother about, but, still, it was aggravating. The amount of money wasn't so huge, but, it represented a significant portion of my annual budget, and it did feel like a betrayal. So, if something like that affected Ville, I can understand why he might react as he has in a private message to me (Kolibrios is an "illegal fork"). So, to reiterate, I do not seek to explore or analyze, or reflect upon the fork, I am only keen to learn what Kolibrios can do now, with a view towards the future, not the past.

cheers,

tom
  • I think, Ville had wrong approach to open source. GNU license means, that you want to make the world better, no matter how. He wanted to be the leader(owner) of the project, and he could not accept, that someone has different opinion. So he started closed source Menuet64 with small but loyal team. Anyway, GNU license has not any restrictions of using open code in open project, except erasing the copyright.
  • tomtobias wrote:Can you outline a couple of points that explain how Kolibrios differs from Menuet
    It is simpler to state what KolibriOS and Menuet have in common. Both start the boot process with a blue configuration screen and draw the pseudographic frame. We still keep the code from Menuet that draws the frame, that is all. Describing "a system which shares the code to draw a frame" as "a child with a couple of things different" is... incorrect to the point of irritating.

Well, this was a little exaggeration, but not very large. One can still find small fragments of code, but everything significant - starting with the content of the configuration screen - has been either heavily modified, totally rewritten or even simply written. It is impossible to state in one message all the modifications over a decade of development.
    tomtobias wrote:why Ville regards the Kolibrios effort as "illegal"?
    I have come here long after the fork. Right now, as far as I know, the code conforms to all requirements of GPL. The mentioned "draw pseudographic frame" code, for example, is in kernel/trunk/boot/bootcode.inc and contains the acknowledge of MenuetOS. New files, like everything in kernel/trunk/bus/usb folder, of course, do not.
    Сделаем мир лучше!
  • Thank you very much for the helpful clarifications, Pathoswithin and CleverMouse.

I remain interested, and will follow more closely than in previous months.

cheers,

tom