End of support from my side, lets find Kolibri another home

Events from the world of KolibriOS and its developers
  • XVilka wrote:GoDaddy - too much cost! Try Hetzner http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_vserver/vq12 for example.
    Hetzner prices look good, but if I understood correctly, only Managed Server hosting plan offers daily backup, and it's not so cheap: http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produk ... duktmatrix
  • you can just use croned backup on another server. instead of using "managed" server.
    For such purposes I'm using rsync.

Also, I'm moving my server on Heitzner from ThePlanet - they have very good support.
  • XVilka wrote:you can just use croned backup on another server. instead of using "managed" server.
    For such purposes I'm using rsync.
    Yes, but then you need to have 2 servers, no?
  • I have enought space/bandwith for example ;) And, i think, art_zh wrote his mirror
  • Why not narod.ru?
  • Атауальпа wrote:Why not narod.ru?
    Oh, my god ...
  • maximYCH wrote:
    Атауальпа wrote:Why not narod.ru?
    Oh, my god ...
    Byt why? It's usefull and free.
  • Because it is very slow outside ex USSR, has lots of advertising, and doesnt support the needed services.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • This is slow, even in Russia and it's really bad hosting. Once they removed all my RAR archives, and no explanation.
  • Transition to some DVCS can greatly reduce needed traffic and thus lower the costs for the hosting and what is more important - the administration efforts.
    I (again) will suggest Fossil SCM - it is light, it needs very little administration. Fossil have built-in version control, bug tracker and wiki. The wiki can support the project documentation placed inside the check-ins.
    Fossil does not need backups at all. If something happens with the server - every user have copy of the repository and can restore it immediately.
    Fossil is robust - almost nothing can damage the repository. It uses atomic operations and even power lost and network fails are no problem.
    Fossil does not need complex installation - it is single binary (1Meg) that runs as CGI script or even as a WEB server - every computer with static IP can be used as a server.
    SQLite project is hosted in Fossil repository.
  • johnfound, the kolibrios.org server is not just a SVN repository, but also supports the site, this forum and auto-build system, so it needs backups regardless of used VCS. SVN also gives a possibility to backup the full repository with svnsync - in fact, I keep one svnsync'ed repository just in case, and probably some others do too. And SVN has the obvious preference to anything other - it is configured and many people from this forum know how to work with them - which was non-trivial task. So I'm sure that we don't need another VCS.
  • Атауальпа wrote:Why not narod.ru?
    It does not support server-side scripting including PHP, does not support MySQL and other software required for KolibriOS site. But it's local for many users from Russia, I argee. Let's close the forum and switch to static HTML -- we can ready to move to Narod.ru. :lol:
  • CleverMouse wrote:...but also supports the site...
    Mmm-m, what site? :shock: Are you talking about the dark, almost not readable, little page, that opens on "www.kolibrios.org"? I thought it's the server install page. :P

Earnestly, I am surprised to see, that the team of assembly OS developers are so conservative about the choice of development tools.
    The DVCS are modern, acknowledged version control systems, that have many advantages, over centralized VCS. Especially for open source projects.
    That is why the most open source projects migrated to DVCS.
    Fossil is for people that really think "The small is beautiful". You don't like Fossil - OK - there are GIT, Bazaar, Mercurial.
    BTW - there are free hosting services for open source projects - don't forget about sourceforge, github etc.
    They definitely provide better service than "narod.ru".
    So I'm sure that we don't need another VCS.
    Well, KolibriOS is a project that I like, watch and support, but it is not my project. So the decision is yours.
    But the time flies very fast...
  • Now, i can provide full VPS (Qemu-KVM) server - with root accout, etc.
    Any OS, you want. 1 Gb RAM 1 core 3Ghz Intel Core i7, 50 Gb space.