3 Games: Binary Master, Kolibri Puzzle Challenge

Entertainment for 5 minutes, hours, days
  • codemaster wrote:Hello. I've designed and created these 3 games for the competition in the last 2 weeks. Written in FASM for Kolibri and Windows.
    That's a very nice surprise! :idea: To be honest, I've lost all hopes that a non-Russian-speaker would enter this competition.
    codemaster wrote:https://sourceforge.net/projects/games3/?source=navbar [...] Source is available to moderators for now.
    Unfortunately, according to the rules of our competition, your sources have to be present on our SVN (and your games built from sources on our server), to be eligible to participate. Please let me know if you need help doing this.
    codemaster wrote:Not perfect. A little graphics flicker after writing to LFB (gs:x). The documentation is not clear on if or how this interacts with the "background image" and exactly how to redraw when using LFB.
    Please feel free to ask all your questions here, and we would try our best to answer them.
  • LFB is not intended for direct write. It is sufficient to note that it would break the screen contents if the drawing application is not topmost one. LFB access was created for one application - screen shooter - and technical ability to write there is due to unfortunate technical reasons, not because it is allowed to.
    Сделаем мир лучше!
  • The puzzles look very nice.

I also lost a lot of presious time because I used gs to draw in the framebuffer.
    The major problem was the interference from the Arrow cursor, Icon and docky redraws.
    Then I used PutPixel, which is not bad, but GetPixel is terribly slow on my laptop's.
    Syscall 7 (Draw Image in window) performs surprisingly well.
    Now I am going to reprogram all my drawings using an offscreen buffer and syscall 7.
    I hope that the live scroll on large windows will perform reasonably.
    (There is unfortunately no kernel support for livescroll. see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2880
    Greetings from Seppe
  • Very unexpected surprise!

Competition becomes harder but I still hope I can finish my game before 31st and get chance to take piece of prize. Good luck for you and for me :)
    Roman Shuvalov
  • according to the rules of our competition, your sources have to be present on our SVN (and your games built from sources on our server), to be eligible to participate. Please let me know if you need help doing this.
    Yes, how do I submit? http://websvn.kolibrios.org/listing.php ... d73b47ce8e

What's the current directory for FASM? I had to save to SD and use /usbhd0/1/ prefix. Example: file '/usbhd0/1/MY.BMP'

Assembles on+for both Kolibri and Windows. First portable games written in FASM. 6 games total.

seppe: Thanks.

Roman: Good luck to you, too! Hope you finish
  • codemaster wrote:
    according to the rules of our competition, your sources have to be present on our SVN (and your games built from sources on our server), to be eligible to participate. Please let me know if you need help doing this.
    Yes, how do I submit? http://websvn.kolibrios.org/listing.php ... d73b47ce8e
    Do you know how to use SVN? If you do, then send me a private message on this forum with the desired username/password - I will create an SVN account for you. If you have never heard of SVN, then send me all sources, and I will submit on your behalf.
    codemaster wrote:What's the current directory for FASM? I had to save to SD and use /usbhd0/1/ prefix. Example: file '/usbhd0/1/MY.BMP'
    You should place your games into /programs/games/ folder on the SVN, create "tupfile.lua" for each game (to teach our auto-build system how each game should be built) and then edit the main TUP auto-build file "tupfile.lua" to add your games to the auto-build: http://websvn.kolibrios.org/filedetails ... upfile.lua
    And if any of your games has more than 1 files, then just place all files in the same folder. If you do it like this, then during build time, FASM will consider your game directory as current working directory, and you won't have any problems.
    codemaster wrote:Binary Master - Fun game for programmers. Select/click bits to match the decimal number in red and make rows disappear. Practice binary arithmetic.
    I tried this game. The idea is wonderful, but currently it's unplayable: new numbers are coming from the bottom and push all the existing numbers up at random time, so you end up clicking a wrong row. I think what you should do is add new numbers on the top without pushing existing numbers up.
    codemaster wrote:Assembles on+for both Kolibri and Windows. First portable games written in FASM. 6 games total.
    We would still count them as only 3 games, written for 2 different platforms. Anyway the maximum number of games one contestant can present is 3. But if you want, you can submit your Windows version of the games to another competition that ends at night between 29th and 30th December: http://igdc.ru/igdc_top.php?konkurs=117
    That website is in Russian, but I think you can manage without knowing Russian - you just need to register on that forum and submit your games (including source code) there. If your games run on KolibriOS in addition to Windows - you get bonus points for participation. They do not give cash prizes to winners, but award Steam games instead (it's not much, but still something if you have a Steam account). Since you've completed the games anyway, I think it's worth if you submit them there as well.
  • Updated download includes source, 7,000+ lines, images and executables
    See READ.TXT for information. Very professional source code. Hang Programmer works now, better with keyboard than mouse in Kolibri.

yogev_ezra:
    If you have never heard of SVN, then send me all sources, and I will submit on your behalf.
    I'm on phone sending files+text created from PC. Please try to compile. A.INC selects "define cpu intel kolibri" and sets the current directory to blank (CD fix '').
    Binary Master... I tried this game. The idea is wonderful, but currently it's unplayable: new numbers are coming from the bottom and push all the existing numbers up at random time, so you end up clicking a wrong row.
    My favorite one. It's a challenging game that requires timing and precision. I made it easier by increasing the timer from 2.5 to 3.5 seconds of unheld mouse button time. Rows will not move while the left mouse button is held down to avoid accidentally clicking bits below. This only occurs when clicking repetitively and it technically moves before the click.

I think everything can be improved with time and it's hard to say what's really "finished". Example: Is TinyPad "finished" with no undos and bugs? I would love to do more for Kolibri like create a web browser if I had internet service and I've created many more programs+games that I could convert.

Thanks.
  • codemaster wrote:See READ.TXT for information. Very professional source code. Hang Programmer works now, better with keyboard than mouse in Kolibri.
    I have downloaded the archive with sources and removed the link in your message temporarily (till tomorrow afternoon), so that your games can also participate in the contest here: http://igdc.ru/igdc_top.php?konkurs=117 (they require that sources/code is not available before their contest ends which is tonight). I have submitted your games there on your behalf. After their contest ends, I will expose your link once again.
    codemaster wrote:I'm on phone sending files+text created from PC. Please try to compile. A.INC selects "define cpu intel kolibri" and sets the current directory to blank (CD fix '').
    No problem - I will upload the sources to our SVN on your behalf, since of course it's not convenient for you to do it via mobile phone.
    codemaster wrote:I would love to do more for Kolibri like create a web browser if I had internet service and I've created many more programs+games that I could convert.
    Which country are you from, and is the lack of internet a country problem (i.e. like North Korea), or it's only due to the fact that you cannot afford it?
  • Thanks. Sent 3 copies to myself in the mail before posting.

America. Internet is expensive. No vehicle or phone service, either. Must go outside with phone to access WIFI.

I spent all month working on this. Not sure how this will be judged and by whom. My source code, language and library, is the easily the best, most professional here and most useful as examples. Please ask someone who's really experienced like Tomasz and/or Ville.

Thanks again, Yogi! :)
  • codemaster wrote:Thanks. Sent 3 copies to myself in the mail before posting.
    The competition on that website has ended. I have restored back the links to your games in your posts. Unfortunately you got only 5th place: http://igdc.ru/igdc_top.php?konkurs=117 (look for my nickname in the ranking table).
    But this place still awards 2 coins, which you can use to spend on one of the Steam games they have (if one of your friends/family members has internet and uses Steam): http://igdc.ru/gifts/ (look for games in that list which cost 2 coins or less).
    codemaster wrote:America. Internet is expensive. No vehicle or phone service, either. Must go outside with phone to access WIFI.
    I am very sorry for that. I have uploaded your games to our SVN on your behalf, and managed to build them with our auto-build script. So you are now officially participating in the competition.
    codemaster wrote:I spent all month working on this. My source code, language and library, is the easily the best, most professional here and most useful as examples. Please ask someone who's really experienced like Tomasz and/or Ville.
    We are wondering who is the author of ABAKIS library that you used, and which license does it have? On FASM forums ABAKIS library was posted by a user named m3ntal, but no license was specified: http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?p=174080
    Are you and m3ntal the same person? If it's true, then why you have posted ABAKIS library on FASM forum under one name (m3ntal), and KolibriOS games under other name (codestar)? If you are a different person, then we need to know the license under which ABAKIS library is distributed.
    codemaster wrote:Not sure how this will be judged and by whom.
    It would be judged by Russian-speaking readers of our project blog on a major Russian IT website: http://habrahabr.ru/company/kolibrios/blog/
    Unfortunately for you, only game quality would be judged - no special bonuses for programming language used or size of the executable.
    codemaster wrote:I would love to do more for Kolibri like create a web browser if I had internet service and I've created many more programs+games that I could convert.
    Are you a professional FASM programmer? What is your current day job? Maybe we can hire you regardless of this competition.
  • Yes. Abakis is mine. 100% FASM macros. Same license as FASM. Do whatever with these games, Ive got 1,000s of more programs that Ive created.

Not interested. No thanks. Sorry, you lost the best.
  • yogev_ezra wrote:
    codemaster wrote:Thanks. Sent 3 copies to myself in the mail before posting.
    The competition on that website has ended. I have restored back the links to your games in your posts. Unfortunately you got only 5th place: http://igdc.ru/igdc_top.php?konkurs=117 (look for my nickname in the ranking table).
    But this place still awards 2 coins, which you can use to spend on one of the Steam games they have (if one of your friends/family members has internet and uses Steam): http://igdc.ru/gifts/ (look for games in that list which cost 2 coins or less).
    Увы, но в правилах IGDC:
    Получить свой приз можно только заняв призовое место (1, 2 или 3) и только после конкурса и до начала следующего. Монеты НЕ сгорают, а копятся, так что если глянулось, что-то дороже того, чем Вы располагаете - смело копите :)

Также могут возникнуть проблемы с регионами, т.к. политика Steam не позволяет передавать подарки между некоторыми регионами.

Пример ограничения Steam:
    Этот подарок может быть активирован только в этих странах: Армения, Азербайджан, Республика Беларусь, Грузия, Киргизстан, Казахстан, Молдова, Республика Молдова, Таджикистан, Туркменистан, Узбекистан, Украина, Россия
  • ZblCoder wrote:Увы, но в правилах IGDC:
    Получить свой приз можно только заняв призовое место (1, 2 или 3) и только после конкурса и до начала следующего. Монеты НЕ сгорают, а копятся, так что если глянулось, что-то дороже того, чем Вы располагаете - смело копите :)

Также могут возникнуть проблемы с регионами, т.к. политика Steam не позволяет передавать подарки между некоторыми регионами.
    Пример ограничения Steam:
    Этот подарок может быть активирован только в этих странах: Армения, Азербайджан, Республика Беларусь, Грузия, Киргизстан, Казахстан, Молдова, Республика Молдова, Таджикистан, Туркменистан, Узбекистан, Украина, Россия
    Да, я видел оба ограничения, но надеялся, что бедняге без интернета и без знания русского языка пойдут навстречу.
    Хотя, похоже, что и игра из Steam ему тоже не нужна :roll:
  • yogev_ezra wrote:Да, я видел оба ограничения, но надеялся, что бедняге без интернета и без знания русского языка пойдут навстречу.
    Хотя, похоже, что и игра из Steam ему тоже не нужна :roll:
    Для меня всегда было участие и признание работы, важнее. Полученный опыт, не сравнится с теми призами которые можно получить, по крайней мере цель ИГДЦ проста, научится делать игры, с конкуренцией и мотивацией сделать лучше. А призы, это так, приятный бонус.

Зато теперь у товарища есть возможность победить в следующем конкурсе и взять приз по дороже ))