[bugreport] USB keyboard not "visible" to Kolibri (Asus A7V600-X)

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Hi, Zbiggy

Did you try different ports? (I think you did, just asking).
    Did you try http://builds.kolibrios.org/eng/latest-raw.7z ?
    Does you keyboard have a hub? (USB ports on the keyboard itself)
    Could you please open the BOARD app /sys/develop/board => save log /tmp0/1/boardlog.txt => attach it here.
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Leency wrote:Hi, Zbiggy

Did you try different ports? (I think you did, just asking).
    Of course; I'm aware sometimes the port may be a little faulty. But no difference -- the keyboard always acts as if it wasn't connected.
    No, I always use ISO image; in fact no idea what can I do with that "raw" file.
    Does you keyboard have a hub? (USB ports on the keyboard itself)
    No, it doesn't -- and in fact it was cooperating with Kolibri, but on the different motherboard.
    Could you please open the BOARD app /sys/develop/board => save log /tmp0/1/boardlog.txt => attach it here.
    Yes, but if you could tell me, how. At the moment keyboard and mice cannot be "seen" by Kolibri. Cannot type anything as soon as graphic mode is started. But if there's possibility to "telnet" and operate Kolibri remotely, then there's a chance.
  • > No, I always use ISO image; in fact no idea what can I do with that "raw" file.

You can write it by https://www.netbsd.org/~martin/rawrite32/download.html to Flash drive
    This image could help.

> Could you please open the BOARD app /sys/develop/board => save log /tmp0/1/boardlog.txt => attach it here.
    > Yes, but if you could tell me, how.

Ah you're right.
    To fix that you need to boot using kolibri.img, not kolibri.iso. There is a documentation in distro how to do it, it is easy.
    Here is a file in attachement, extract archive, put the file into kolibri.img/settings/ folder. You can edit .img file by WinImage.
    On the first boot you'll see file manager with the list of disks available (try turn on "b" on blue screen).
    Then edit autorun.dat and set a path for saving log.
    Attachments
    AUTORUN.zip (895 Bytes)
    Downloaded 170 times
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Unfortunately, there is a serious problem: that particular board has no support for booting from USB-stick even in its latest BIOS (#1009, which of course I use). I did several attempts using a few Linux distros and the best result I was able to achieve was pendrive recognition followed by "Boot error". In most cases it didn't even "see" the pendrive (the problem described here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/866575/ ... old-system)
    If you could prepare ISO image, I could copy the files to HDD and boot Kolibri usual way.
    Edit: OK, I removed that ASRock mobo, but that one has support for booting from USB, therefore tomorrow I'll complete a machine using ASRock again and I'll make an attempt using that one first.
  • Okay, awaiting results.
    At least make ISO from IMG is not a big deal.
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Sorry for my late answer — I was on my short trip. I didn't get to do it before I left, but as I'm back I tested newest ISO first (just downloaded).
    It seems the keyboard and mouse (both connected via USB) now are working OK, no need to replug (well at least on my ASUS board; didn't check ASRock yet). But there seems to be regression in "shutdown" module:
    1. If I try to select any of "Kernel / Reboot / Power off" by pressing Home / Enter / End, respectively, it seems to immediately freeze (either whole system or just I/O; I'm unable to use keyboard and mouse cursor can't be moved).
    2. If I try to select any of "Kernel / Reboot / Power off" by doing selection using mouse cursor and clicking LMB, the desktop contents disappears (only the grey background remains), I can still move mouse cursors a few seconds, but then it freezes (either whole system or just I/O; I'm unable to use keyboard and mouse cursor can't be moved).

If anything can be checked, I'm available.
  • OK, with the newest ISO (just downloaded) there is small step ahead taken — I mean it acts now the same way be it keyboard and mouse — but still it doesn't get past grayish background picture, acting as the OS was frozen.
  • "Shutdown" module still flawed (just tested the newest ISO image).