Newcomer questions

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Hi mc,
    rnc wrote:1. is it possible to change the keyboard layout to german?
    Yes, Press Alt+1, Alt+2, etc to change current keyboard layout. I don't remember exact number for German.
    rnc wrote:2. are there any c compilers available for KOS?
    Yes, search the board for the toolchain by Serge, includes gcc cross-compiler (e.g. here).
    rnc wrote:3. is WLAN supported or is KOS LAN only?
    No WiFi support at the moment.
    rnc wrote:im new to KOS
    You are welcome.
  • Thanks for the quick reply. :)

It's pretty hard for a non russian speaker to get into KOS programming when liturally everything is in russian language. :/
    I think the developer language is suppose to be english, so developers around the world can contribute.
    In order to push the development of KOS, we should provide a nice documentation about KOS in english.

I think KOS has the potential to become a nice community project but the language barrier is stopping it.
  • rnc wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. :)

It's pretty hard for a non russian speaker to get into KOS programming when liturally everything is in russian language. :/
    I think the developer language is suppose to be english, so developers around the world can contribute.
    In order to push the development of KOS, we should provide a nice documentation about KOS in english.

I think KOS has the potential to become a nice community project but the language barrier is stopping it.
    I totally agree. As a fellow developer it really is a problem for me.
  • Jan135 wrote:
    rnc wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I totally agree. As a fellow developer it really is a problem for me.
    Generall tip for non Rusian-language people. Ask, be stubborn and ASK.
    Everything is in russian language
    Wiki has english version - docpak in standard distro is in English, assembler menemonics are english dependent :wink: . For more advices ask. Be stubborn and patient - ask.
  • rnc wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I totally agree.
    As a fellow developer it really is a problem for me.
  • There are many English-speaking developers here; everyone is ready to help.
    Most of Kernel docs have English versions as well.

I guess the main newcomer's problem is the Assembly core, this requires a special way of coding-and-thinking in FASM