Kolibri not booting - solved

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Have you tried booting from a more conventional medium like USB to see if this works?

BR,
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • Hi hidnplayr,

No, I have not tried any other boot medium yet. I have however tried the newest version of menuetos floppy image as a Seabios payload boot from ROM, and it boots in the gui and appears to be functional. I will try a more conventional medium with Kolibri soon and see how it goes, but the ultimate goal is to boot from ROM.

I've also tried switching coreboot to textmode and booting Kolibri; with this method I get the bluescreen menu, and I can toggle various options. When I try load the OS, it says:

Code: Select all

Loading diskette: OK
    but does not proceed further. It does not show any debug output.

Thank you
  • OK, it's working now.

First, I did as hidnplayr suggested and created a bootable usb with Kolibri. When booting USB on the coreboot PC, got the exact same behavior as before when booting from ROM. I tried on another PC that's using Asus BIOS, not coreboot, and it worked.

So I went back to coreboot and changed some settings. Instead of libgfxinit, I compiled with the Intel option rom and set VGA Textmode. With this configuration it boots from ROM and probably usb as well. So the initial issue I think is that Kolibri does not support coreboot's libgfxinit graphics driver.

Next week coreboot 4.12 will be released. I will compile with the latest version and post my rom and config for others who want to play with it on the Asus P8H61-M Pro board.

Thank you
  • Hello,

Coreboot 4.12 has been released, I just compiled and added Kolibri as payload and it is working. Attached are the configuration I used and the rom itself if anyone is interested. This is for Asus P8H61-M Pro (revision 1.01) with an 8MB BIOS. Revisions 1.04 and 1.05 of this board have a 4MB BIOS, you will need to recompile and adjust rom size and cbfs size in the Coreboot config accordingly.

To add Kolibri to coreboot after it has been compiled, you need to run this cfstool command

Code: Select all

./build/cbfstool build/coreboot.rom add -f /location/to/latest-distr/kolibri.img -c lzma -n floppyimg/Kolibri.lzma -t raw
    If you are looking for a general guide how to do compile coreboot and add Kolibri not specifically for this board, floppy121 wrote a really good one here:
    http://board.kolibrios.org/viewtopic.php?t=3446

Thank you
    Attachments
    coreboot-config (24.24 KiB)
    config for the attached rom
    Downloaded 221 times
    coreboot.rom.zip (1.79 MiB)
    Coreboot 4.12 with Kolibri for Asus P8H61-M Pro (rev 1.01, 8MB ROM)
    Downloaded 211 times