Newbie: How do you install to HD?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Hi! It's very easy to install Kolibri on your HDD, CD or Flash-drive.
    First go there and download a new distro: http://diamondz.land.ru/distr/kolibri_1 ... az_eng.htm
    In archive you will find file "install.txt" in "Docs" folder. Please, read it. There are asnvers on all your questions :)

Good luck.
    Из хаоса в космос
  • I'm sorry-

How and what do I "make executable" or "change executable attributes?" to install.sh?

Thanks
  • kwabena39: are you running linux or windows now?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • chmod 777 install.sh
  • 2 kwabena39
    I have installed KolibriOS on FAT32 partition with copied kolibri.img and installed GRUB (I use memdisk utility). It works also with ext3 partition but you can't save ramdisk using RDSAVE utility from KolibriOS.
    Last edited by Albom on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • hidnplayr wrote:kwabena39: are you running linux or windows now?

I am running Linux: Puppy 2.02 Seamonkey because that's the only Linux that will run on the laptop (with 2 partitions, one for Linux and one for FAT32) that I want to install Kolibri to.

Now I don't know how to install Kolibri.img to hard drive. I tried WINE to run HD/mtldr_install.exe, but no luck. The WINE on Puppy Seamonkey doesn't do the job.

I'm thinking of trying crossover linux to open the HD/mtldr.exe file, because I just don't know anything about chmod yet. I'll download tutorials on the Web on how to use chmod.

Thanks
    Last edited by kwabena39 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • P.S., I cannot get mtools because Puppy doesn't have it. I just now used RDsave from the Kolibrios floppy to copy the image to the hard drive. My question is now making it bootable.

It isn't as easy as simply editing GRUB Config files, isn't it...

I thought so :|

These instructions in install.txt are really confusing. For example, do I have to use HDLoad at all? Or is that just for DOS/Windows users?

What do DOS/Windows users have to use, what do Linux users have to use, and what do Kolibrios Live Floppy users have to use?

Can you install Kolibrios from inside the Kolibrios Live Floppy itself? If you can run HD\mtldr_install from inside the Kolibrios operating system, then what commands do you put into the Kolibrios terminal...

...And that brings me to yet another question: What IS the Kolibrios terminal? Is it zsh, ash, bash, or is it not anything like any Linux or DOS terminal, with a whole new set of commands?

I'm sorry, there's just so many questions.

I started reading the book on FASM inside the Kolibrios image, but I guess I have a lot more learning to do about basic stuff.

I've been using Linux for a year now. Before that, I was only a point and click Windows user. Now, I've dabbled in the following Oses: Syllable, BSD, Linux, Beos, Visopy, Triangle OS, and Menuet. I'm like a kid in a candy store, learning about the vast world outside of Windows and Mac. Because I learn more that way. Generally, though, I don't like to learn the more important things of an operating system until I can run it from the hard drive, because only then can I really use it, like change things and re-write things and so on. In one year, learned a whole lot of new things, like what chmod 777 means. It means make it read, write, executable for all possible users. I just learned that from a tutorial and tried it for install.sh.

I then ran "sh install.sh" from inside Puppy. It gave me a number of records in and a number of records out. That's all. No Gui interface or wizard to place an image on a hard disk. I wonder if it's supposed to do that or not.

At first, I used only FAT32 partitions on the disk and tried to install the image from inside the Kolibrios floppy itself. I originally wanted to dedicate the entire hard drive to Kolibri.

But the directions seemed to keep pointing me toward Windows and Linux, so I assumed it was meant to be installed to either a dual partitioned hard drive or a hard drive that was connected to some kind of network with another OS running, Mac, Windows, or Linux. So I repartitioned the hard drive to see if I could install it from Linux.
  • You may choose between:
    - Simple booting from grub: http://wiki.kolibrios.org/Booting_from_GRUB
    - A bootloader to load KolibriOS from grub: ftp://kolibrios.org/pub/bootloaders/trolly/kboot.7z

KolibriOS doesnt really have a native 'terminal' yet..
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein