Скорость загрузки файла

KoOS network development
  • Yes, it's a known issue.

Some reasons:
    1. TCP implementation is unfinished. "At the same time, download freezes are observed in the download progress in Dl." for example is an effect of the congestion control algorithm.
    2. Nothing is really optimized or "tuned" for performance so far:
    - Some drivers work only in promiscuous mode or use very few descriptors.
    - There is still some unnecessary copying of the data.
    - Checksum offloading is not enabled.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • effect of the congestion control algorithm
    I think that need modify a scheduler algorithm - it need to switch to user threads with waiting sockets just after system threads is ends
    Some drivers work only in promiscuous mode or use very few descriptors.
    My driver no downloads foreign packets (multicast/broadcast/promiscuous recive is disabled). Also I tryed to increase coutn of Rx descriptors, but this does not help.
    Checksum offloading is not enabled.
    As far as I know not all cards support this feature
  • Coldy wrote:I think that need modify a scheduler algorithm - it need to switch to user threads with waiting sockets just after system threads is ends
    Hmm, not sure, any idea about how much time we currently 'lose' ?
    My driver no downloads foreign packets (multicast/broadcast/promiscuous recive is disabled). Also I tryed to increase coutn of Rx descriptors, but this does not help.
    Right, well actually to check performance of the driver, it would be better to use iperf in UDP mode.
    There is "udpserv" demo program on the SVN which should be enough to test IIRC
    As far as I know not all cards support this feature
    True, but currently it is not used even on those cards that do support it.
    I have not done any performance checks on the checksum validation routines in kernel yet (Ipv4/TCP/..).

In any case, there are some settings you can play with before compiling the kernel.
    Just remember, bigger is not always bigger! (https://www.bufferbloat.net/)

Here are the things that come to mind:
    NET_BUFFERS in network/stack.inc - Number of NET_BUFFs (as used in your driver for example) that will be created by kernel at boot. It is the maximum number of NET_BUFFs that can be in use at any time. (Increase if you see packet overruns.)
    SOCKET_BUFFER_SIZE in network/stack.inc - it is the size of the buffer that kernel copies all data into, before it is copied into application buffer during recv call.
    only used of STREAM sockets like TCP.
    SOCKET_QUEUE_SIZE in network/socket.inc - it is the maximum amount of packets that can be queued to be transferred into the application buffer. Like the above, but with one less copying phase. Used for stateless sockets like UDP.
    TCP_MAX_WIN in network/tcp.inc - Maximum TCP window size (should fit in SOCKET_BUFFER_SIZE)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • I'm not found udpserv in SVN. Please tell me where it located.
  • Coldy wrote:I'm not found udpserv in SVN. Please tell me where it located.
    Added #9228

But after reading doc about iPerf, I'm afraid my proposed setup will not work with UDP and we need something more sophisticated to test with UDP...
  • Coldy
    That was a good idea to add such simple test so I have added it into System Panel #9246.
    Rough, simple and useful.
    Attachments
    Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png (38.76 KiB)
    Viewed 9928 times
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Leency, you're welcome :D