Network documentation

KoOS network development
  • Asper wrote:Good :) , but if there is no PS/2 ports, how he can control the device?
    He said he has a COM mouse. Or, he can always write OHCI USB driver :lol:
  • Or use 'synergy' to share a mouse of another pc over network ;)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • hidnplayr wrote:Or use 'synergy' to share a mouse of another pc over network ;)
    Would be really nice if you can explain how to use 'synergy'. Then I could test Asper's HDA sound driver on a few more machines.
  • You need to setup synergy server on the computer of wich you want to share mouse and keyboard.
    In the synergy client for kolibrios (net branch) you only need to configure synergy.ini (set local computer name and server IP)
    In the current version, only mouse events will work, keyboard events are not implemented yet.

It's really a proof of concept and not really useable ATM.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • Today, I received the eBox 3300 from yogev_ezra.
    First notices: wow, it is quiet and wow, it boots fast :)
    The second NIC is, as expected, a mini-pci card. It has an RTL8100B chip (rtl8139)
    I expected an rtl8111 (rtl8169) but it does not really matter, both work already with kolibri.
    Actually, it's even better, because now I can use my favorite network bootloader (as described here http://home.dei.polimi.it/fornacia/prog ... index.html)

Also, the device does not have PS/2 connectors for mice and keyboard (serial mouse works, usb keyboard untested)
    I found the place on the mobo where the PS/2 connector should be soldered, but there are resistors etc missing, So I cannot add PS/2 connectors by simply connecting some wires..

I noticed that the compact flash card is not detected in KolibriOS (or is it because it is not properly formatted?)
    Perhaps it will work when I connect a flash card to the internal IDE port.

I should go to school now but expect to see a working R6040 driver soon ;)
  • hidnplayr wrote:Today, I received the eBox 3300 from yogev_ezra.
    Great news! Did you have to pay any taxes? I hope not?
    Overall it took 6 days to get from me to you. Much better than to ex-USSR.
    hidnplayr wrote:First notices: wow, it is quiet and wow, it boots fast :)
    Now you can enjoy the quietness in your house while using computer :wink:
    And if someone writes a browser and/or RDP for Kolibri, you can even make it your main PC. :mrgreen:
    hidnplayr wrote:serial mouse works, usb keyboard untested
    I am really happy that regular COM mouse works out of the box. Will make your life much easier.
    Plugging USB keyboard made eBox-3300-L2 stuck when I did it myself :( Hope you have better luck!
    hidnplayr wrote:I noticed that the compact flash card is not detected in KolibriOS (or is it because it is not properly formatted?) Perhaps it will work when I connect a flash card to the internal IDE port.
    Weird - I remember it was detected when I shipped it to you. Did you change anything in BIOS?
    Did you manage to load KolibriOS from the CompactFlash card that was inside the eBox when you received it?
    hidnplayr wrote:I should go to school now but expect to see a working R6040 driver soon ;)
    To be honest, I thought you are much older :lol:
  • yogev_ezra wrote: Great news! Did you have to pay any taxes? I hope not?

I had to pay 10 euros, 'handling costs'
    yogev_ezra wrote: Overall it took 6 days to get from me to you. Much better than to ex-USSR.
    Well, under normal circumstances, it should go even faster, there were some strikes at Belgian Post
    yogev_ezra wrote: And if someone writes a browser and/or RDP for Kolibri, you can even make it your main PC. :mrgreen:
    I already started on a better version of a VNC client ;)
    yogev_ezra wrote:
    hidnplayr wrote:I noticed that the compact flash card is not detected in KolibriOS (or is it because it is not properly formatted?) Perhaps it will work when I connect a flash card to the internal IDE port.
    Weird - I remember it was detected when I shipped it to you. Did you change anything in BIOS?
    Did you manage to load KolibriOS from the CompactFlash card that was inside the eBox when you received it?
    I did not change anything in BIOS, hard to do without keyboard ;)
    I used the card labeled 'KolibriOS night build' and it booted even before my screen was warmed-up.
    yogev_ezra wrote: To be honest, I thought you are much older :lol:
    I'm 20 years old, but have been spending time with KolibriOS/menuetos since 2005 ;)

EDIT: I can access the compact flash through bd0/1, did not notice it was there..
    Last edited by hidnplayr on Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • hidnplayr wrote:I had to pay 10 euros, 'handling costs'
    This is bearable I suppose. A lunch in Belgian McDonald's cost me more in 2007 :wink:
    hidnplayr wrote:I did not change anything in BIOS, hard to do without keyboard ;)
    I used the card labeled 'KolibriOS night build' and it booted even before my screen was warmed-up.
    So if it boots, then what do you mean by "undetected"? :roll:
    hidnplayr wrote:I'm 20 years old, but have been spending time with KolibriOS/menuetos since 2005 ;)
    Very nice, you are probably the second next genius after the man in your signature :idea:
    But aren't you supposed to graduate school at 18 or so? At least like this in Israel. In ex-USSR most even graduated at 16-17 (since it's only 10-11 years and in Israel we have 12). Do you mean college/university then?
  • Yes, I mean college. (I'm studying electronics and ict, however its more electronics then ict, and i'm glad i dont have to learn PHP/C#/Java/....)
    By undetected I meant, unaccessible from KolibriOS, but now I noticed I have to use /bd0/1/
  • hidnplayr wrote:By undetected I meant, unaccessible from KolibriOS, but now I noticed I have to use /bd0/1/
    Yes, exactly. I am glad you found it and it's working as expected.

BTW: please do not try to hot-swap CompactFlash cards (do not change them when eBox is "on").
    It will not work since it's not supported, and you are risking to burn the eBox and/or CompactFlash.