Installing KollibriOS

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • You should be able to 'dd' it from any BSD to a pendrive or HDD, (not sure about an SSD), & run it from that.

If it doesn't, may I suggest putting FreeDOS (plus a GUI) on that old laptop, it is quite a modern version of DOS, & you might find it useful. :)

P.S. Re floppy booting, take a look at Plop bootloader - https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html
  • zyxer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:36 amI cannot find the HD_load folder and thus neither the HD_load\mtldr_installer.exe file either.
    You can download several different files. latest-raw.7z contains kolibri.raw and Rawrite32kos.exe (dd for Windows), while latest-distr.7z contains everything, including the HD_load folder. You have probably downloaded the wrong one, you'll need latest-distr.7z instead.
    zyxer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:36 amHow can I "install"/run KollibriOS from my SSD? Do I need to remove the SSD and dd (not from linux, I don't use linux) to it the HDD image? Or can I somehow install it from the live CD/DVD?
    The dd tool is the same on BSD. You can use it from the live CD/DVD as well, but if you prefer a windowed application, try USBImager (kb. 300K, does the same as dd, just with a minimalist GUI window).
    zyxer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:36 amBut I would prefer to try it out first
    Why don't you run it in a vm then? Something like qemu -fda kolibri.raw -boot a works like a charm.
    zyxer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:36 amSince I never used MS DOS and been many years since I used windows, and I don't use linux either, I don't mind if people explain it to me as if I never touched a computer before. I mostly run different BSDs and I am not afraid of the terminal, but KollibriOS is it's own thing and my prior PC experiences and knowledges may not translate very well.
    No need. As I have said, there's no difference on BSDs, the dd tool and qemu are exactly the same, you can use any Linux tutorials just as-is.

Hope this helps,
    bzt