Hello, I'm new

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • MisthaLu wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:05 pm I got network up running from an attachment in one of the forum threads, and audio works too.
    Congratulations, you're a lucky one.
    MisthaLu wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:05 pm The best place looking for apps is in this forum? Or are they collected somewhere else?
    Even though most applications are mentioned on this board, some of them have been silently committed to the repo. You can find all the binaries at our build site.
    MisthaLu wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:05 pm So far I've just been running Kolibri off of a USB stick. If I want to put it on the harddisk, I have to boot some other OS on USB and then write the Kolibri image file to the harddisk? Or is there a better way?
    Currently it's not possible to install KolibriOS via KolibriOS, i.e. it doesn't have its own installer. So yes, you have to use another OS. What to do next depends on your machine (BIOS/UEFI), the OS you are familiar with (Linux/Windows), your skills etc. If you managed to install KolibriOS to a hard drive somehow, you hardly can do it in a better way. You can find some install instructions in install.txt.
    MisthaLu wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:05 pm How alive is the project nowadays? The IRC channel seems rather dead - but most IRC channels do....
    It's not as active as before. That said, it still gets commits from time to time.
  • Thanks for the replies.

I have another question, might as well ask here instead of creating a new thread:

I copied a bunch of DOS games onto a USB stick, and thought I would mount this in DOSbox.
    But what's the path to the USB?
    In KFM2 I see it becomes "usbhd1/1", but how do I go to usbhd1/1 in Shell? And in DOSbox?
  • Storage in KolibriOS is located in the root directory. Hence you can access usbhd1/1 via Shell as 'cd /usbhd1/1'.
    I'm not a DOSBox user, but try something like mount c /hd0/1/, C:, dir.
  • Thanks
    Yea, I can do "cd /usbhd1" in Shell alright.
    But DOSbox doesn't accept it.
  • For DOSBox try the commands I mentioned for DOSBox: mount c /hd0/1/, C:, dir. If they don't work, post detailed error message to DOSBox topic.
  • I can mount basically any folder - doesn't give me any errors.
    But a DIR afterwords just doesn't list any files.
    Neither for /hd0/1/ or /usbhd0/1/ or /hd1/1/ or /usbhd1/1/
    or even just /sys/ or /
    Basically I can't mount anything whatsoever....
  • I just looked at the DOSbox thread. Turns out the problem is described by you in 2021. It's the DIR command that doesn't work when mounting root folders.
    If I mount c /usbhd1/1/additional_folder/ - then it works.
  • Well, maybe Pathoswithin will kindly fix this consequence of his commit. http://bugs.kolibrios.org/view.php?id=132