Still regression in „shutdown” module

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Hi. We have an archive of builds here. Please, find the exact revision which broke shutdown on your system. I.e. the revision N where N-1 reboots correctly and N is broken.

Unfortunately shutdown and reboot often need different logic on different machines, therefore it can work for developers and don't work for you. It would be perfect if you could reproduce the issue in Qemu.
  • This must be something more serious than I thought initially; the iso I was trying at that time and I remember as having working shutdown, should be svn9066-iso.7z. But now it doesn't shutdown/reboot my computer.

Then I tested the following images:
    svn8500-img.7z svn8761-img.7z svn9046-iso.7z svn9097-iso.7z
    svn8633-img.7z svn9000-iso.7z svn9073-iso.7z svn9102-iso.7z

None has „shutdown” module working properly on my Asus A7V600-X motherboard! The mobo is OK, on the same disk I've got Slackware 15 installation and it uses ACPI during shutdown without any problems.
    I have no idea, how come I experienced that proper shutdown two years ago — you know, it passed quite a bit of time… anyway the problem is present. If I can prepare some „debug” report, let me know, how.

And one more thing: on that machine I've got old keyboard connected. It turned out, that there's no way to enter the menu without „Windows” key present! Guys, there should be a switch for „legacy keyboards”, I mean the standard key-combination to enter menu: <LeftControl>-<Escape>. I had to connect especially for checking out the older images — that didn't like USB mouse — another keyboard, fitted with „Windows” key, since I couldn't open the menu otherwise.
  • Well, ACPI shutdown requires ACPI support which I've been struggling with for years. Unfortunately, I can't provide you with any estimation when this work is going to be finished. I have already missed my previous estimation for years. If you find eventually the revision that shutdowns and reboots your system successfully, let me know. As you understand, fixing a regression is usually easier than implementing new functionality.
    Zbiggy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:28 amAnd one more thing: on that machine I've got old keyboard connected. It turned out, that there's no way to enter the menu without „Windows” key present! Guys, there should be a switch for „legacy keyboards”, I mean the standard key-combination to enter menu: <LeftControl>-<Escape>. I had to connect especially for checking out the older images — that didn't like USB mouse — another keyboard, fitted with „Windows” key, since I couldn't open the menu otherwise.
    You can start MOUSEMUL app as described here and 'click' the menu button. Is <LeftControl>-<Escape> the standard combination in some OS or it is your personal preference? I have never seen a keyboard without 'Win' key.
  • dunkaist wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:52 am Well, ACPI shutdown requires ACPI support which I've been struggling with for years. Unfortunately, I can't provide you with any estimation when this work is going to be finished. I have already missed my previous estimation for years. If you find eventually the revision that shutdowns and reboots your system successfully, let me know. As you understand, fixing a regression is usually easier than implementing new functionality.
    Now I recalled, that (most probably; I don't remember it that precisely) the shutdown was OK on my former mobo, it was ASRock — and probably I noticed the problems since my switch to Asus, that took place at that time. So it must be different gear, not different Kolibri release.
    You can start MOUSEMUL app as described here and 'click' the menu button. Is <LeftControl>-<Escape> the standard combination in some OS or it is your personal preference? I have never seen a keyboard without 'Win' key.
    Yes, there are such keyboards, just like my old trusty „Clicker”, for example. :)
    That key combination works about everywhere for bringing a menu on the screen: it works in Windows, in works in various window managers in Linux — have a check.
    It's a quasi-standard, convenient for the users, then why not stick to it?
  • dunkaist wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:52 am Well, ACPI shutdown requires ACPI support which I've been struggling with for years. Unfortunately, I can't provide you with any estimation when this work is going to be finished. I have already missed my previous estimation for years.
    I forgot to point your attention: actually it's probably not about ACPI — because none of the three buttons on „shutdown” panel works properly. So not just poweroff the machine doesn't occur, but also „reboot” isn't executed, neither that third, „kernel” option.
    So it's not about ACPI — something is very wrong in the whole module.