belgian keyboard support

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • typo in previous message, sorry
    port-->point
  • My problem is likely to yours: I want to make support for Ukrainian keybord...
  • The keymaps are located in the source code of the 'setup' application.

Nice to see somebody from belgium here, at last :)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • In my opinion, the file Keymap.key in the /rd/1/Settings folder is obsolete.
    Is it correct to say that only the 128 first bytes of the scancode tables (included in the source of Setup) are meaningfull?
    Could someone add the country identifiers (5=French, 6=estonian, 7=belgian, 8=italian) to the description of sysfuncs 21,2 and 26,2 ?
    Greetings from Seppe
  • On a Belgian keyboard, the key next to the left shiftkey is used to type "<,>,\".
    see http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... layout.png
    However, typing this key does not produce a scancode.

The "µ£`" key (next to the returnkey) does not produce an ascii code (0 in the keymap).
    Note: On some keyboards, this key is located on the left of the backspace key.

Has any work been done on dead keys?
    Greetings from Seppe
  • seppe wrote:In my opinion, the file Keymap.key in the /rd/1/Settings folder is obsolete.
    This file is used by @panel application.
    @panel (the taskbar) permits the user to change the keymap by using hotkeys (alt+f2 IIRC) or using the mouse (icon on your right hand side)
    Unfortunately, @panel uses its own keymaps to do so.

It has been proposed in the past to remove keymaps from @panel and let setup application handle the keymaps (@panel can run setup with a parameter to change the keymap when user request this). But nobody has done it yet...

Before this can be done however, ukrainian keymap must be added to setup application, it's present in @panel but not setup.

Last step in this process would be to update the docs offcourse.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • seppe wrote:On a Belgian keyboard, the key next to the left shiftkey is used to type "<,>,\".

The "µ£`" key (next to the returnkey) does not produce an ascii code (0 in the keymap).
    Note: On some keyboards, this key is located on the left of the backspace key.

Has any work been done on dead keys?
    The key works for me, and produces codes < and > correctly (\ somehow doesnt work) the key has scancode 86.
    How did you test for scancodes? Did you use the 'keyascii' or 'scancode' application from 'develop' directory?

You are right about the error in belgian keymap for '£µ' key. Because KolibriOS still cannot print these characters by default, I hadnt noticed. I'll fix it.
  • hidnplayr wrote:
    seppe wrote:On a Belgian keyboard, the key next to the left shiftkey is used to type "<,>,\".

The key works for me, and produces codes < and > correctly (\ somehow doesnt work) the key has scancode 86.
    How did you test for scancodes? Did you use the 'keyascii' or 'scancode' application from 'develop' directory?
    I tried 'keyascii', 'scancode' and syscall 2.
    I tried "Logitech K120", "Sanllon", and "Apple USB" extended keyboards.
    The scancode 86 (0x56) is not generated.
    For now, i manage things by setting my own keymap using syscalls.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • seppe wrote: I tried 'keyascii', 'scancode' and syscall 2.
    I tried "Logitech K120", "Sanllon", and "Apple USB" extended keyboards.
    The scancode 86 (0x56) is not generated.
    For now, i manage things by setting my own keymap using syscalls.
    After some extensive testing, with all sorts of keyboards I could find, I have found that it's a problem in USBHID driver.
    When using this key on an USB keyboard, USBHID driver prints a message on the debug board 'unclaimed HID input: usage=00070064, value=00000000 or value=00000001 depending wheter you're pressing or releasing the key :)

Is it correct to say that all the keyboards you tried are USB?
  • Problem with key not working on USB keyboards fixed in #4932

Seppe: I think almost all problems with keymap are resolved now, can you verify this?
    One problem that remains unfixed so far is that it's impossible to type '\' on belgian keyboards.
    All other keys should return proper scancodes/ascii codes altough kernel cannot print all characters on the screen correctly using built in fonts at this point.
  • hidnplayr wrote: Is it correct to say that all the keyboards you tried are USB?
    Yes, I only tried USB keyboards.
    Now I looked for my old Harry Potter PS2 keyboard, and indeed ..., the <> key works fine on PS2 keyboards.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • seppe wrote:Is it correct to say that only the 128 first bytes of the scancode tables (included in the source of Setup) are meaningfull?
    Yes, sysfunc 21/26 returns exaxtly 128 bytes, ignoring the additional (meaningless) bytes in some tables in the keymap.inc file.
    I learned that sysfunc 21/2/9 only sets the keyboard country identifier. One must also set the corresponding scancode tables!
    Greetings from Seppe
  • hidnplayr wrote:Problem with key not working on USB keyboards fixed in #4932
    I think almost all problems with keymap are resolved now, can you verify this?
    On a USB keyboard, the "<>\" key still does not produce a scancode.
    Also the keymap needs some adjustments, but I will come back to that later.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • seppe wrote: On a USB keyboard, the "<>\" key still does not produce a scancode.
    Also the keymap needs some adjustments, but I will come back to that later.
    Did you update usbhid.obj ?
    Please open the debug board in 'kernel' tab, and press the key that does not work.
    What do you see?