Kolibri64 kernel design

Internal structure and your change requests/suggestions
  • What will be the architecture of the kernel? Monolith, modular or microkernel? Who will be involved in its development?
    If there were no God, he would have to be invented.
    Voltaire

Code: Select all

program God
    begin

• Alex2003 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:09 am What will be the architecture of the kernel? Monolith, modular or microkernel? Who will be involved in its development?
    I think monolith, but minimalistic, without GUI. Current kernel includes basic GUI like buttons. What if I want to create my own button with cool visual style? Or button with image. In this case I can't just use kernel buttons, I will need to implement button in userspace - duplicate functionality. In the other hand, if we implement buttons in the kernel, we should also implement other basic controls like editboxes, textareas, checkboxes as in WinAPI. But as I said I think GUI in kernel makes development much harder. More code in kernelspace - more crashes (including floating, unreproduceable ones).

On development: to start with, I plan to implement some basic things like initializing 64bit stuff and write at least memory manager.
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.
  • rgimad wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:18 pm What if I want to create my own button with cool visual style? Or button with image. In this case I can't just use kernel buttons,
    You can, you just create invisible button and draw image using separate functions...

Less code in kernelspace sounds great tough, the question is where to draw the line..

Regarding "initializing 64 bit stuff", why not use pure64?
    https://github.com/ReturnInfinity/Pure64
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein