Wanting to port an MP3 jukebox (seeking contract programmer?)

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • What features exactly are you looking for that ac97snd in KolibriOS does not currently support?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • You could use dosbox within kolibri os. Check out my videos on youtube with dosbox and demos!
  • @hidnplayr : I must admit I have not looked at ac97snd for quite some time. Perhaps it can do this (as described below) already, or with little modification?
    I wanted the ability for the machine (computer) to boot directly into the 'play' mode from power on where random tracks from the collection would play. While in that mode a user could select tracks from within the collection and these would go into a 'play' list which would them play in the order they were selected. The user could choose new tracks to add from the 'master' list, or delete/move the play order in the 'play' list. Once the play list was finished, the random playing of tracks from the master list would resume. Of course the list/s would display on screen so the user could see what was playing and what was coming up. Mind you, MPXplay does not do this exact thing (master list and play list), but almost. It also has some other really cool other features. Unlike 'nix and 'doze though, I can turn the power off without notice and the thing does not care.

@baggacfreak : I have tried DOSbox (and I'm really glad DOSbox has been implemented on KolibriOS), but I needed a very fast PC to get audio that is not choppy. My intent is to use a DC powered computer (12 volts) without a fan. Yes, I could buy an inverter and run a fast computer, but that would defeat my goal of small, low-powered, and above all, silent. The fastest DC fanless PC I've got my hands on so far is about 1 GHz. Yes, I can get faster, but the dollars start going up fast. And as I mentioned in my original post, using DOSbox I *still* have to put up with all the limitations of DOS.

Thanks for the replies!
    MM.
  • AC97snd has a playlist integration, but no 'music library' which would really enhance usability IMHO.
    Nonetheless, you should check it out first:)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • So something like a raspberry pi but with x86? Isn't there one new hardware out which comes even with win10 based on netbook x86 processor? http://www.lattepanda.com/ is kolibri os running on such I thing? I use kolibrios in a vm so indeed cpu power is no issue.
  • What an interesting diversion... a RasPI running Windows with a VM running KolibriOS with DOSbox running MS-DOS7... How fast do you think the final layer would run? Or alternately, how fast would the PI need to run to get an audio player to run at the bottom level?

On a serious side though, I believe the PI is ARM based (is it? I'm not a PI expert), and KolibriOS does not have an ARM port. Sadly. But I've read (probably on this very forum) that doing such a port would be *really* heavy.
  • Oh that was a misunderstanding. Kolibri OS on raspberry pi is a nogo, but perhaps the latte panda board is a option as it is x86 intel based.
  • Documentation on most things KolibriOS is hard to find (the forum seems the most helpful), and often non-existent, but after following the suggestion by hidnplayr to check out AC97snd, I got stuck into a web search. Regrettably most of the pages returned were in Russian, and google translate does not do a very good job. But I did find a few interesting pages about sound in KolibriOS.

At first I found a page that talked about different audio applications... http://developers-club.com/posts/251371/
    This page mentions (in the 'minuses') of AC97snd... it "often" crashing. Is this true?
    This page then talked about an application called "Pixie".

I then tried to find out some more information about "Pixie", and came across this page... https://translate.google.com.au/transla ... rev=search

It would appear than rather than trying to port either MPXplay or MPR, 'Pixie' is what could/should be used as a base (or starting point) for developing an interface to an audio engine. I agree with hidnplayr that using a driver/codec already written is the way to go, and just make/modify/enhance a suitable user interface.

Although the 'Pixie' thread is a little old, I'll try contacting the 'Pixie' author using that thread. I am still interested in contributing financially to such a project.

As always, the communities (your) comments are very welcome.

Cheers,
    MM