Can't get CD to boot

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • kolibri.img is for floppy. Probably, you just need to configure boot devices in the BIOS.
  • Nope must be another problem as I tried the same thing with menuet (sp?) 64 bit and it wouldn't boot
    either. Burning to a CD but in a dvd writer. Must be something weird.
    I guess Kolibri is not for me.
  • Most likely the problem is to make your PC boot anything from CD. Try to search for such problems for your motherboard.
  • Nope. My PC boots other cds fine. BIOS is set to look at CD first. then boot from HD. Strange problem as I used to be able to burn
    a CD with Kolibri and boot from it. Maybe my DVD writer is f**cked. But it writes other stuff i.e. movies etc fine. Even burns MP3s to
    a cd fine.
  • You also may try to boot KOS from USB flash or HD with windows/linux (actually, that is easier).
  • If you are on a windows machine, http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/Dual_Boo ... s_NT/2K/XP should help you set it up.

It's not impossible for a writer to go bad. I've had a few break over the years and it takes a few broken discs and some frustration to realize that the writer might be fried.

A quick way to check if your writer works(On Linux) is by using the ddrescue tool.
    More instructions here : http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... -iso-image

I personally use qemu at the moment and I would recommend using it for a quick and easy setup.
    ---
    Check out the Netsurf Web Browser for KolibriOS.
    Read the wiki and happy hacking with KolibriOS!
  • Finally got it working and KolibriOS boots. Unfortunately no support for my netcard (integral with the MB in my Dell Optiplex 745) and my keyboard (USB) is sometimes
    not recognized. Thanks for your work so far.
  • frankzen wrote:Unfortunately no support for my netcard (integral with the MB in my Dell Optiplex 745)
    It seems your computer has a "Broadcom® 5754 Gigabit Ethernet LAN" which is indeed not yet supported.
    There is however a freely available "programmers manual" for this family of cards, so writing a driver for this card may actually be easier then for some other cards.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein