KolibriOS freezes while accessing hdd

Drive subsystem, filesystem drivers
  • 010180 controller usually does not have problems because PATA behaves predictably unlike SATA.
    There is an article in russian site devoted to this notebook.
    I suspected the old hard drive, which may have trouble accessing the disk spoiled areas. How the DOS or Linux work on this laptop?
    Всем чмоки в этом проекте! Засуньте эти 11 лет себе в жопу!
  • It could not be related to the fact that the INT reads as 0 ?
    plain DOS/linux untested so far, currently only windows 2000, and win95 in the past, which worked OK.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • The problem is still actual?
  • Yes, problem still occurs.
    Now the system freezes immediately when trying to access the disk.
    BIOS wrote:internal hard disk: 4100MB
    Cylinders: 7944
    Heads: 16
    Sectors: 63

Multi-sector transfers: 16 sectors
    LBA mode control: enabled
    32-bit I/O: enabled
    Tranfser mode: Fast PIO 4
    Ultra DMA mode: mode 2
    Attachments
    BOARDLOG.TXT (1.41 KiB)
    boardlog of kernel #4734 patched to force PIO mode.
    Downloaded 475 times
    Last edited by hidnplayr on Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • " When trying to access the (NTFS formatted) harddrive from KolibriOS, I can browse
    through the folders, but when trying to open a file, the system freezes.
    "

His meaning, surely, is such that he means 'when trying to open (any?) file the system freezes' (?)
    Are person(s) who made the code to access NTFS file system still active on KolibriOS Board?
    In absence their questions, perhaps we should ask like;
    When you browse the folders and files, is it possible to check the size of any file?
    When you set the NTFS file system, were any 'NTFS file permissions' also set?
  • buyerninety
    This problem is not related to the level of the file system. The problem of programming IDE controller. Please do not confuse all the issues in one pile.
  • Not related to the filesystem indeed.
    In fact, the filesystem is really FAT32 and not NTFS. (I assumed NTFS because of windows 2000 but was wrong..)
  • FYI, HP in their Omnibook 2100 documentation recommends leaving the bios 'Smart CPU Mode' always Off;
    (for your future notebook usage, also note the problem with some MS mice;)
    http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/h ... cachetoken
  • hidnplayr
    Kernel patched to force PIO mode also causes freezing when accessing the hard disk? You posted the log without SEARCHAP, for this reason I can not figure out whether there was freezing to PIO mode, or it is happens only for UDMA.
  • hidnplayr
    How about testing the last revision of nightbuild?
  • Tried version #4855 today.
    First two times, hung as soon as SEARCHAP was trying to access the disk.
    Third time SEARCHAP worked ok. Then I browsed the drive some more and the system hung again.
  • Oops, HP Omnibook 2100 probably not supports LBA48. So now it will not work at all. Are you interested to use it? How about BIOS disks?
  • Most annoying thing right now is that I cannot run KolibriOS without modifications, or the system will hang.
    It would be better to fail safe, then hang the system.
  • What modifications are you talking about?
    Lets try something easy first.