Does KolibriOs support ATAPI-4?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Unfortunately, KolibriOS supported only ATA (IDE, SATA) and AHCI controllers (with driver). SCSI controllers are less common in ordinary home PC. For example, I don't have SCSI on my 6 computers.
    Всем чмоки в этом проекте! Засуньте эти 11 лет себе в жопу!
  • Does KolibriOS support ATAPI-4 and ATA 6?
  • Just for notice for anyone interessed in the development of this, I have a bunch of these scsi controllers and discs and would be very happy to test any code.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • @ hidnplayr... a KolibrOS SCSI "workaround" project for this might be implemented using ATAPI-4. If this project existed I would be buying a ATAPI-4 controller today for beta testing.

I already purchased the parts for my KolibriOS router project (eBox was not game changing hardware so today I purchased... AMD Athon 64/32 @ 2.7ghz CPU + low profile pin CPU heatsink w/ graphene oxide thermal grease + low profile tubine fan + ZOTAC Mini-ITX mobo w/nVidia GE Force 8200 GPU + 8gb fully buffered DDR2 memory + DDR heatsink). I intend to... KolibriOS --> Qemu --> boot2docker --> OpenWrt (Luci). I plan to do a lot of overclocking.

I need ATAPI-4 support (a SCSI workaround) to "use" SCSI/ATA 6 (48bit large capacity @ <100mb/s transfer rate device) for hi speed swapping (pseudo memory).
    Last edited by blue4meridian on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • @bluemeridian: Routing is not implemented in kernel yet, but its high priority on my todo list.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • Native support would be great. For now I intend to achieve routing with emulation. If you are interested in launching KolibriOS/ATAPI-4 I will buy the controller today so I can beta test.
    Last edited by blue4meridian on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I've made costly mistakes purchasing equipment only to find KolibriOS does not support it because of "legacy" issues. So it is best to procede whenever support is confirmed.
    Last edited by blue4meridian on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • blue4meridian wrote:Does KolibriOS support ATAPI-4 and if not... is it in the roadmap for the very near future?
    If you didn't get an answer, it means either nobody knows the answer, or nobody that knows has read your question yet.
    When (and if) someone that knows will have the time, they will answer you. No need to post the same question 2-3 times in 2-3 different topics :wink:
  • It was posted once and reposted in a different context again. I will revise the last post so the answer will be in context under the correct topic. This topic addresses (now) addresses ATAPI-4. The developers know the system requirements and the forum admin/moderator should know them as well. If you are the forum admin/moderator what are the system requirements? Not for nothing... no point purchasing parts for a OS that does not support them.
    Last edited by blue4meridian on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • blue4meridian wrote:It was posted once and reposted in a different context again. I will revise the last post so the answer will be in context under the correct topic. This topic addresses SCSI my post addresses ATAPI-4. The developers know the system requirements and the forum admin/moderator should know them as well. If you are the forum admin/moderator what are the system requirements?
    Indeed I am one of forum admins, and the Public Relations coordinator. Mario_r4 (the person who originally answered you) is the author of HDD/CD/DVD drivers for KolibriOS, so his answer would be the most definite. I am not familiar with "SCSI over ATAPI-4" protocol, so I can't answer your question. ATAPI-4 in terms of transfer speed only (UDMA/33) is supported, according to what I know.
    blue4meridian wrote:Not for nothing... no point purchasing parts for a OS that does not support them.
    It is a very bad idea to purchase anything in your life before you know whether it would suit your needs. Surely you cannot blame KolibriOS developers for wasting your money, because you have purchased hardware before you confirmed that it's supported. Again I don't answer your question because I have no idea of what "SCSI over ATAPI-4" means.
  • blue4meridian wrote:@ hidnplayr... a KolibrOS SCSI "workaround" project for this might be implemented using ATAPI-4. If this project existed I would be buying a ATAPI-4 controller today for beta testing.
    If you want a "workaround", there is a support of everything that BIOS sees as a disk. It should work on SCSI devices too.
    I already purchased the parts for my KolibriOS router project (eBox was not game changing hardware so today I purchased... AMD Athon 64/32 @ 2.7ghz CPU + low profile pin CPU heatsink w/ graphene oxide thermal grease + low profile tubine fan + ZOTAC Mini-ITX mobo w/nVidia GE Force 8200 GPU + 8gb fully buffered DDR2 memory + DDR heatsink). I intend to... KolibriOS --> Qemu --> boot2docker --> OpenWrt (Luci). I plan to do a lot of overclocking.
    If you plan to run KolibriOS as the base system and Qemu as an KOS-application, then SCSI support is not your only problem, because Qemu is quite heavy application and nobody has ported it or will port it in near future. If you plan to run KolibriOS inside Qemu, then you should not worry about how real hardware works with Qemu'd system.
    I need ATAPI-4 to implement ATA 6 to use SCSI for hi speed swapping.
    The first part of this sentence seems to me as a random meaningless combination of three unrelated abbreviations. For swapping, the kernel just cannot use swap-files to extend virtual memory and the support will certainly not appear in a foreseeable future.
  • @clevermouse: maybe swapping in this context means hot swapping of the harddrives?
  • @ yogev_ezra thanx... the UDMA info could be very useful. In regard to purchases... I have never purchased anything in life w/ out research. However... KolibriOS is a (hardware) legacy OS. The world has moved on to ARM... 64bit... heterogeneous multicore... and other 21st century technologies. x86 (20th century) will soon join MIPS, Power PC, Motorolla 68k, Transmeta etc. My nVidia Jetson is a good example of this. Imagine FASM/ARM OS on a supercomputer w/ 5+192 cores. That's a long way from eBox. If KolibriOS ran on Jetson I would not need to build a non-emulated solution.

So to get bleeding edge hardware performance out of what is arguably the most powerful OS (even more powerful if ported)... means in this case abandoning convention for legacy. Expressing need is not blame it is proactivity. My purchases would not be erroneous on a conventional system. But this is a good thing... because it demonstrates the extrordinary power of this OS. That it does more than the others with less. Best Regards...

@ CleverMouse thanx... the SCSI info could be very useful. As for Qemu I will have to rethink that approach. Perhaps there is a cloud based solution. As I noted w/ yogev_ezra... your creation requires thinking outside of the box (eg. Linux... which uses swap files). Apparently KolibriOs does not support swap files (@ least I'm not sure) which I have used since my MS-DOS days (the 80's). I always place my swap file alone on a separate device.

If you confirm that KolibriOS does not support swap files (non virtual) then I will not need to buy a ATAPI contoller or SCSI drive. Again... Best Regards.