web browser

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Anyone capable/willing to port a full fledged Linux embeded c-source web browser to Kolibti?
    Royce
  • How much would you pay for a fish?
  • How much would you pay for a fish?

A fish?
    Royce
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Much_Is_the_Fish%3F

Do you not understand a joke?

Someone has to perform any complex order for development or porting software. This makes any enthusiast, if he is interested, or programmer working for the money. I did not see any enthusiast wanting to do such complex projects as a full-blown (full-scale) web browser for KolibriOS.

So the question - are you ready to pay for your needs?
  • I think I would make commercial but free web-browser :D But not now.
  • Maybe I should rephase it :-)
    I have the gpl c source code for a full blown linux web browser.
    It only needs to be ported to Kolibri.
    I am not into c code, so wouldn't know where to start.
    If I had a c comliler that could emit assembly code with the c source
    and comments carried thru then maybe.
    Royce
  • What browser?
  • Konq/E
    Royce
  • Sorry, it's almost impossible. Konq/E is based on Qt Embedded. So, you have to port it first. You can try, of course, but it'll require ALL dependencies. In fact, KolibriOS has plain C/C++ cross-compiler and libc. No X-Window system, no framebuffer, etc. You can fix libSDL port in a day or two for KolibriOS's newlib port (it's kinda outdated), and then you'd better look at Orygin Web Browser, it has SDL target. Anyway, you'll have to make a lot of other things to make your port work.
    I think it's better to make brand new web engine.
  • Well, The QT part is basically a UI for KonqEmbedded.
    It provides a Ui much like the graphics in Kolibri.
    The khtml engine can pretty much be seperated out and use the Kolibri functions instead.

The Konqueror/Embedded project attempts to build up a special version of the web browsing component of the KDE browser Konqueror (in particular its html rendering engine khtml and its io subsystem) . Konqueror/Embedded runs on the Qt/Embedded platform for embedded devices, in an environment without a KDE installation or a X windowing system, as one static binary, being as small as possible while still providing all essential features of a web browser, including

HTML4
    CSS
    JavaScript
    Cookies
    SSL
    Non-blocking IO
    Builtin Image Viewer
    IPv6 support
    Full xbel compatible bookmark support and management

Another key feature is the fact that Konq/E is not a fork of the browser components of KDE but it is part of the actual build process to copy over the original sources of the rendering engine, the HTTP client implementation and various support classes and compile them without modification. This is accomplished by providing drop-in replacement classes, providing source compatibility to the original code, while being optimized in size and functionality for Konq/E . This has the tremendous advantage of being able to gain from the latest bugfixes and improvements of the original browser, for free!

Royce
  • From my point of view, the main problem is full C++ runtime support. Yes, there are some programs for Kolibri OS written in C++, but is used only subset of C++.

P.S.

FLTK -> dillo

may be not so complicated, but C++ runtime support is necessary too, may be not so full as for Qt ...

[Sorry for my english. i hope - my text is understandable :) ]
  • There's no porblem with C++. There are problems with network layer and dependent libraries. Royce, if you really can port Qt, it will be cool!
  • There's no problem with your English FireWall :-)
    We'll see about the port.
    Maybe use kolibri calls :-)
    Royce