Help modifying source code!

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • ISO image is not intended for modifying. Use floppy image kolibri.img from main version of distribution kit (if you have an partition writable from Kolibri, you can also save ramdisk image to get .img file). Floppy image also can be burned to bootable CD in 'floppy emulation' mode.
  • So, how would I go about changing the background for example, because I don't find that in the .img?
  • The file 'background.png' is present in kolibri.img as well as in CD image.
  • Ahh, okay, Thanks for your help :)
  • Try to use Bootable CD Wizard (FreeWare) programme. This is great programme can make multiboot CDs from floppy images (supports the extended formats of boot images) with hierarchical bootmenu interface and submenu interface with customized apperarance.

I was create CD to myself with many OS's, in particular with all versions of MenuetOS, KolibriOS and others (MSDOS, MSWindows_16bit, FreeDOS, DexOS, PolitOS, Miraculix, GiosOS, DamnSmallLinux and etc.).

Sorry to my bad english.
  • could you also tell me where to find the background.png in the .img? All I find when I do a search in the Kolibri.img is background.jpg in \Skins\USSR_2, is that the one I need?
  • Penry wrote:could you also tell me where to find the background.png in the .img? All I find when I do a search in the Kolibri.img is background.jpg in \Skins\USSR_2, is that the one I need?
    kolibri.img is one file, which contains an image of entire file system. Like kolibri.iso, but with different file system (FAT12 vs ISO9660). background.png is in the root folder inside kolibri.img.
    The mention of MagicISO suggests that the base system is Windows. For Windows, there are many programs which can work with FAT images. Standalone programs include DiskExplorer (freeware, does not understand long file names) and WinImage (shareware), there is also a plugin for Total Commander (freeware), which can be used from Far through WCX connector.
  • Penry wrote:could you also tell me where to find the background.png in the .img? All I find when I do a search in the Kolibri.img is background.jpg in \Skins\USSR_2, is that the one I need?
    I don't understand, you need official background.png from distro or unofficial background.png from my skin "USSR_2" :?:
    More precise, please.

If you search official background.png, that he is into kolibri.img or kolibri.iso. I read look over or change kolibri.img, with WinImage programme, and kolibri.iso with PowerISO. To change files in kolibri.iso, you first need delete bootable file, from kolibri.iso and then take kolibri.img, change needed files in he, rename extantion in kolibri.img file on bootable extantion and then write this image in bootable sector with PowerISO, save and burn on CD, and thats all. Approximately in such a way, if i don't mistake.
  • Okay, I decided to go along and use DiskExplorer, however, because I am opening a floppy image, the maximum size of it is 1.44MB or 2.88MB, in this case 1.44MB. Now the problem is, I have got another background.png, which unfortunately is 541KB big... :( Am I able to increase the size allowed on the floppy image? This is why I headed towards editting the .iso...

Edit: Okay trying out what Rock_maniak_forever suggested.
  • Penry wrote:Am I able to increase the size allowed on the floppy image?
    No. The KolibriOS kernel now can only work with standard 1.44M FAT12 ramdisk images. All files which are intended to be on the ramdisk (including background.png) must in summary fit in 1.44M.
    However, if Kolibri can read from a partition on a hard drive, you can just edit autorun.dat and enter Kolibri-style path to background.png on this partition as an argument to kiv.
  • ah I see. I'll try that out! thanks
  • I'll post my results tomorrow, getting late here, thanks for your help though :)
  • diamond
    Между прочем, можно грузить большую картинку с CD напрямую автоматически, при загрузке оси.

Penry

I try in action myself suggestion about kolibri.iso, because for a long time i don't use this method, even since MenuetOS times. Clear up, that have possibility to booting big picture on the background from CD simpliciter automatically.

• To this need (i describe all actions):

1. First need getting kolibri.iso and kolibri.img.

2. In emulator or real system need boot the system and on start loading of the system (blue screen, with settings), you need set booting from floppy disc, and other changes if needed, then save changes in kernel of your kolibri.img. Delete from kolibri.iso bootable info from bootable sector.

4. Change string in autorun.dat file by any text editor in kolibri.img file. In string "/RD/1/MEDIA/KIV \S__background.png -1" need change path and name in string. For example:

If name of your picture is "Big_picture.bmp" and path "/cd3/1" without quotes,need write this

/RD/1/MEDIA/KIV \S__/your_path/folder_name/picture_name.bmp -1

/RD/1/MEDIA/KIV \S__/cd3/1/kolibri/Big_picture.bmp -1 ; thus by me.

then save data and write autorun.dat in kolibri.img file.

5. Rename in kolibri.img extension (".img") on bootable extension (for PoweISO will be ".bif", for other prgs will be another).

6. Write kolibri.bif in bootable sector of kolibri.iso image.

7. Burn kolibri.iso in CD.

8. In BIOS need set booting from CD. Restart the computer.

9. Load CD in CD drive, and wait until booting the system (your picture loads automatically).

10. Have fun. :D
  • Have second method. Made manually kolibri.img with size 2.8 Mb. Write in he your big picture, save and write in kolibri.iso (as describe previously). But, i don't try this method in action.

And third method, as to say diamond - this is booting picture from HD.