Machine code

Everything you can't fit into other forums
  • You're wrong - Kolibri should be written in microcode embedded CPU.
  • Jake wrote:Would KolibriOS be more efficient if it was written in machine code instead of assembler?
    Any assembly language is actually a mnemonic presentation of CPU machine codes.
    (Plus some extra features to simplify and accelerate the s/w development).

But your question is not absolutely absurd 8)
    - apart of CPU, there exist less sophisticated programmable devices inside PC those require hell of programming of their own microcontrollers in bare machine code.
    KolibriOS yet needs this work to be done to utilise 100% of the hardware resources, and to run even faster.
  • Mario wrote:You're wrong - Kolibri should be written in microcode embedded CPU.
    Would Kolibri be more efficient if it is written in microcode, instead of machine code or assembler? Is there anything more basic than microcode?
    art_zh wrote:- apart of CPU, there exist less sophisticated programmable devices inside PC those require hell of programming of their own microcontrollers in bare machine code.
    KolibriOS yet needs this work to be done to utilise 100% of the hardware resources, and to run even faster.
    Are you talking about microcode here?
  • We're probably talking in different terms.
    Would you please tell us what microcode do you talk about and why it should be faster than the CPU code?
  • Jake wrote:
    Mario wrote:You're wrong - Kolibri should be written in microcode embedded CPU.
    Would Kolibri be more efficient if it is written in microcode, instead of machine code or assembler? Is there anything more basic than microcode?
    Of course there is! Weak interactions of quarks satisfy you?
  • art_zh wrote:We're probably talking in different terms.
    Would you please tell us the what microcode do you mean and its difference of the CPU code?
    Mario (above) mentioned "microcode" which is a term I had never heard of until today! I looked up what microcode means on Wikipedia. From what I understand it is more basic than machine code.
    Wikipedia wrote:In some computer architectures, the machine code is implemented by a more fundamental underlying layer of programs called microprograms, providing a common machine language interface across a line or family of different models of computer with widely different underlying dataflows. This is done to facilitate porting of machine language programs between different models. An example of this use is the IBM System/360 family of computers and their successors. With dataflow path widths of 8 bits to 64 bits and beyond, they nevertheless present a common architecture at the machine language level across the entire line.

Using a microcode layer to implement an emulator enables the computer to present the architecture of an entirely different computer. The System/360 line used this to allow porting programs from earlier IBM machines to the new family of computers, e.g. an IBM 1401/1440/1460 emulator on the IBM S/360 model 40.
    I thought maybe you and Mario were talking about the same principle?
  • Mario wrote:
    Jake wrote:
    Of course there is! Weak interactions of quarks satisfy you?
    Are you saying that "weak interaction of quarks" is a layer of hardware-level instructions and/or data structures, like machine code and microcode?
  • x86 has a solid microcode = machine code = physical realization of assembly instructions.

What Mario said was his favorite way of doing conversations :)

Don't panic, he is not as terrible as he might appear when you know him better :shock:
  • art_zh wrote:x86 has a solid microcode = machine code = physical realization of assembly instructions.

What Mario said was his favorite way of doing conversations :)

Don't panic, he is not as terrible as he might appear when you know him better :shock:
    Obviously you can tell I don't know much about computers, but I find Kolibri fascinating! I want to learn about it and possibly better alternatives. Yes I don't like the way Mario speaks to me but I guess he is just playing with me :razz:.

So when Mario says "Kolibri should be written in microcode embedded CPU" is that what Kolibri already does?

Would "microcode embedded CPU" (as Mario puts it) be the solution to what you say here:
    art_zh wrote:apart of CPU, there exist less sophisticated programmable devices inside PC those require hell of programming of their own microcontrollers in bare machine code.
    Is Mario being informative or is he misleading me?? I have come here to learn rather than be confused. :(
  • Mario wrote:You're wrong - Kolibri should be written in microcode embedded CPU.
    I came across the term "Microassembler".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microassembler

If Kolibri was written in microcode embedded CPU, would it be more efficient with or without the use of a microassembler?
  • As for the microcode processor and later - it was a joke. :lol:
    Assembler actually created that programmers are not obsessed with programming directly to binary code. The end result is that a binary code that the assembler is almost identical, but the assembler greatly simplifies the development.
  • Jake wrote:
    I came across the term "Microassembler".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microassembler

If Kolibri was written in microcode embedded CPU, would it be more efficient with or without the use of a microassembler?
    I don't like to explain other peoples' jokes, but that one Mario said was really funny

An embedded CPU is a quiet and slow beast that controls your camera or mobile phone. Such a simple thing has a simpler set of commands, and the programs it runs are also (usually) much shorter. People sometimes call such embedded software "microcode" to stress its limited functionality and speed.

A monster inside your PC is different. He wants it all, and now - no compromise. All the other hardware only serves its huge appetites, and does it more or less satisfactory - never fast enough.
  • :lol: