Kolibri in DOS

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Current main kernel (trunk) cannot boot without floppy image, but you can store almost all information & applications on fat partition. About running from DOS I don't now how to do it and is it available now. About last question, I think it's impossible because KolibriOS is independent protected-mode OS and not writed to be an shell for DOS.
  • Welcome to forum.
    The KolibriOS can read any FAT partitions. Ideology in KolibriOS use a floppy image for itself work. You can't run the KolibriOS without a floppy disk, because logick of work the KolibriOS is not give you to make it. A best way is working with your files at HDD's FAT partition. You can make any operations at your files. The KolibriOS has FAT driver. And you can have any directory bigger than 1.44 Mb.

You can't get back to DOS when KolibiOS session.
  • Thanks for your quick answers; why KolibriOS has to need a floppy image? DexOS, for example, doesn't, and the kernel can be launched directly from a "clean" dos mode (with no EMM386).

Also, is there a graphical web browser for KolibriOS (like the one shown in MenuetOS screenshot, with a Google page)? And where can I download the KolibriOS CD (The only link I've found in the "news" section does not work)?
  • KolibriOS need floppy image because nobody fix this ;)

About web browser: there is a html viewer HTMLv (Menu->Net->Clients->HTTP+HTML view) which now is able to use 'download' application to load web pages (throught http). It supports only basic text formating and no relative links at web pages. It is graphical in meaning that it has windowed GUI, but it does not support graphics.

KolibriOS Live CD could be downloaded at download page (named ISO as it is ISO image).
  • The MenuetCD was more than 20 Mb: all that software were ported to KolibriOS? In the download section, I've found only an ISO of about 3 MB.

In the news there is a reference about a distro of 30 Mb made by trolly: does it still exist?
  • Menuet64 is not free OS (and for another architecture), so apps cannot be ported not by authors (and Ville will not do this). KolibriOS and Menuet are now two incompatible and different OS.

Trolly's distro is now outdated. It has big size because it includes a lot of big-size stuff (for example ported Doom and Quake, sources of all programs, etc).

Current LiveCD is not full collection of KolibriOS applications, so it has small size.
  • Ok: where I can find Doom, Quake and all other programs?

Also, the graphical web browser is only for Menuet 64?
  • angros47 wrote:Ok: where I can find Doom, Quake and all other programs?
    Do you want binary or source files?

If you want binary,so climb by forum, see in ISO image ог another sites devoted KolibriOS, but If you want sources, so you need to download SVN repository from official site.
    angros47 wrote:Also, the graphical web browser is only for Menuet 64?
    Yes it is.
  • Menuet64 CD is so big (unpacked size=36M), because it includes files for ported DOOM and QUAKE (DOOM1.WAD ~ 4M, PAK0.PAK ~ 18M) and also many sources (including sources of doom, quake and menuetlibc). All of them exist for KolibriOS too (with some improvements, e.g. KolibriOS version of DOOM supports sound if sound card is supported by the kernel), but are not included to LiveCD to keep its size small.