KolibriOS vs. Linux

Everything you can't fit into other forums
  • похоже на фанатизм
  • Разговор глухого со слепым.
  • I have used various versions of Linux, and the simple fact is that Linux is getting nearly as bloated and overly complex as MS Windows. I like Linux, and I like that it is open-source software and free. I also enjoy all the free open-source software for Linux. But, Linux is simply too complex for me to dive into the code and fully understand it. It is now millions of lines of code, and even a "small" build of Linux is many 10's of MBs. Sadly, Linux has become, or is becoming, bloatware.

Kolibri offers a nice change of pace for me. I can look at the code (including the ASM code like the kernel) and understand it - and I find it to be of manageable size. Sure, it will grow larger and more complex, but I have a feeling it will remain incredibly streamlined when compared to Linux. I think Kolibri makes a great OS for learning about OS's too.

All the Kolibri developers seem very talented and motivated to produce a great software product. And, Kolibri developers seem to not be building "yet another Linux flavor or Windows clone", which is nice. I have seen plenty of those and what really interests me most about Kolibri is how it is *different*.

I personally do not care if Kolibri fits on a floppy or not though, especially in the day of inexpensive memory and storage devices. :) What I really want is an OS that is fast and efficient and can easily run off a USB memory stick and/or as a virtual-machine and gives me some basic functionality that I can extend if I so desire. There is no comparison between Linux and Kolibri: they address different requirements and objectives, and Kolibri seems poised to fill a segment of the OS market in a unique way. Keep up the great work Kolibri developers - I appreciate your efforts!
    Mike