Why KolibriOS?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • >Why did Kolibri fork from MenuetOS

It is a long story. In short, CIS developers vere disappointed by several things: no every kernel patch or new application were included in Menuet32 (there was even difference in 58 system function in 2004-2005), very big time interval between official Menuet32 releases (up to 3,5 months), VT gave project leader rigths to M.Hibbet and later to J.Pelczar(both are not from CIS*), VT made a signal in 2005 that every one should support Menuet64 and forget about Menuet32. The only way to save Menuet32 was forking.

* in 2003-2005 about 70% of (app/kernel) code for M32 were written by CIS team, which have two distributions: RE and Kolibri.

>Can Kolibri still run Menuet applications from the MCD?

We have our own versions of Doom, Dosbox. I don't know about compability with Pig, Quake and ScummVM...
  • the versions of Pig and Quake runs ower Kolibri AZ live-cd, and Pig included to it. I newer hear about porting of ScunnVM, I think there are no Kolibri-version here now. // sorry my English
    И мы уже давно не пешки,
    Мы пули, мы орлы, и решки!
    Война ютит бинарный код,
    Умри, или иди вперед!
  • Two more guys understood the situation :)

from http://www.osnews.com/comments/19539

"The developer made it proprietary because he got pissed that some people had some ideas of their own and spun them off in a fork called KolibriOS. Wanting to keep the project wholly "his baby" and not have to share with other people, he was a jerk and closed the source."

"Anyway, back on topic. I must say MenuetOS doesn't impress me much anymore. It's awesome that it's in assembly, and it's real neat, but it has it's flaws. For one thing, being written in assembly, it's not as fast as it should be (or at least, it doesn't feel as fast as even Windows, certainly doesn't feel as fast as *nix). Also, it's not a very good development environment, IMHO.

That being said, MenuetOS is an amazing hobby OS... probably my favorite. Very unique. But since MenuetOS 64-bit was released, it seems that the userbase has been shrinking (or is it just me?)"