End of support from my side, lets find Kolibri another home

Events from the world of KolibriOS and its developers
  • Is it a possibilty for the same server to be rented and managed by somebody else? (so there is no actual move)
    If so, what are the estimated costs?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • The server everything is hosted on right now costs 49 €/month (http://fastvps.ru/dedicated/, SDS-2). Since hoster is a Hetzner Online partner I suppose everything could be safely moved to another Hetzner server (at least I could try reaching some agreement on that point with FastVPS).
    There's a set of non-Kolibri related sites which are also hosted on that server. I'm planning to move them away too but till that happens I cannot give anyone root access to the server or something. So if we decide to transfer server itself and not the data then I (and not you) will need some time to manage the case.
    in code we trust
  • I personally do not like freeware hosting sites (like Google Code, SourceForge etc.) because they do what they want and I like to control my server myself. So if my vote counts, I vote for normal hosting (dedicated server or at least shared hosting on paid server).

I can offer to host this from my home for free but the access speed for you will be limited to 800 Kbit/sec (100 Kilobyte/sec), because I have ADSL so the speed which you can connect to me is 10 times lower than the speed I can connect to you. So I guess this is too low, right?
  • As for the hosting, if we change the server, do we have to change the web address too (kolibrios.org)? I'd like to make all possible to save the current address. I can share ~10$ per month for the hosting.
    Last edited by mike.dld on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Request violation
  • As I were also paying for the domain, sure I will make a transfer. You won't loose it. Domain itself will expire on November 24, 2011.
    in code we trust
  • I can offer the following: I began to work the system administrator in small ISP. I can set up a server at home to ALT Linux. In the near future, I will have a high-speed permanent connection 2-4 Mbps. At such situation we should pay only for domain.

However my experience in network technologies is small and probably I will need consultations to the future work.
    Last edited by mike.dld on Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Request violation
  • I can help in configuring a new server.
  • If it is worth something, I might be able to find an older server to donate.
    (eg, I'm sometimes able to get machines like a dual xeon (p4 based) blade server for free)

However, I dont have the connection to run a server at home, upstream is only 1 mbit, and ports 80 etc are blocked.

EDIT: and i dont think anybody will be able to find a 100mbit connection on wich you may set up a server, for much less then 50 dollar/month..
    Last edited by hidnplayr on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • mike.dld,
    How much server space needed to host Kolibri now (very roughly: 2..5Gb, 5-10, 10-20, >20) ?

All,
    Does it make sense to run [one or several] mirrors of the main server to secure the precious stuff?
    I'm ready to start such a mirror (i.e. http://kos.jerdev.co.uk) using very reliable LCN.com hosting.
    That might also let us switch the main server smoothly.
    Last edited by art_zh on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
  • art_zh: to run all services as now on kolibrios.org, you need a dedicated server (access and permission to install daemons on the server for SVN etc)

Unless we run the SVN server on somebody's home server, but i dont like the idea of it, especially since SVN is not a distributed system.
  • Right now, all the data takes approximately 11GB (including SVN repo data, autobuild results etc.).
    in code we trust
  • hidnplayr
    I naiively thought SVN worked under redmine and therefore run as a script (like the forum or wiki).
    Autobuild could be run on a remote machine >> uploading the just-built code to the main repo.

But my key question was about mirrors: doesn't anybody think it is unsafe to store all the vital information on one server and loose everything when it falls (AFAIR, it happened 4 or 5 times during last 3 years)
    Евангелие от Иоанна: стих 1

Code: Select all

; В начале было Слово:
    B32:        mov     ax, os_stack       ; Selector for os
    [/size]
  • Isn't it time to switch to some distributed SCM? IMHO, SVN is not the best option.

I personally prefer Fossil - the best for assembly language projects. :)
    This is a DSCM by the author of SQLite - D. Richard Hipp.
    The central repository can be hosted on almost any web server with CGI support or even without web server at all - it have one built in.
    Also Fossil have wiki and bug tracker built in and needs no install and almost no support. The whole engine is a single executable file 1MB in size. It also have ports for Linux and Win32 :)
    It is possible to import SVN repository in Fossil.
  • I can provide server. It is dedicated server, but also here is another site: http://www.droid-developers.org
    As i'm dont going leave droid-developers.org server will be up 24/7

I'm already have lighttpd + php-fpm + PostgreSQL
    also i have installed python.

i can install everything, except apache (too big and slow) and ruby (same sh*t)

Bandwith 100 Mb in/out, physically located in US, California.
    Last edited by XVilka on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.