Proposing to leave only the Russian and English versions of the distribution

Everything you can't fit into other forums
  • My statement is related to the project moving from SVN to Git. We wouldn't really like to drag around unnecessary build artifacts.
    Изобретайте колёса каждый раз, когда хотите написать новую программу.
  • I think there are two different questions.

1. Is KolibriOS distribution in any language other than English and Russian ready to be officially shipped from our download page? My opinion is no, more effort is still required.

2. Is our infrastructure in trouble to build these languages? My opinion is, again, no. We had less than 100 commits for a year, our infrastructure can handle such a load easily.
    turbocat wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:35 pm In addition, as it turned out, distribution kits may also differ in content.
    There are differences between the English and the Russian distributions too. I don't think this is the reason to deprecate one of them.
  • What about new language — French? The infrastructure can handle it too
  • If lack of the distro in French prevents you or somebody else from translating into that language, then why not. KolibriOS has the French layout included already. If you personally intend to commit at least a few corresponding changes, I can add such a tup variant to the build server.
  • Sweetbread wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:29 pm What about new language — French? The infrastructure can handle it too
    How about à, è, ù, é, ç, â, ê, î, ô, û, ë, ï, ü? Btw, I would add Turkish (because I speak it a bit and could make a normal translation), but there is also a problem with the lack of specific characters.. If I understand correctly, adding new languages needs adding new fonts
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.
  • rgimad wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:01 pm How about à, è, ù, é, ç, â, ê, î, ô, û, ë, ï, ü?
    Well, at least some of the characters are present. Maybe adding a few more to the non-unicode system fonts is an option, I don't know.
    rgimad wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:01 pm If I understand correctly, adding new languages needs adding new fonts
    We do have one unicode font that can be used by sf4. Maybe expanding this font is enough.
  • French and Belgian keyboard layouts in KolibriOS are inaccurate because they are encoded in CP866 which lacks symbols such as ç, è, é.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • Maybe it's time to extend ASCIIVJU (or write another app) to show all the supported unicode code points and the corresponding glyphs of charUni font. I believe it shouldn't be hard as long as a new language is written in letters left-to-right.