initial observations of 0.7.7 / wishlist

Everything you can't fit into other forums
  • danboid wrote:MeneutOS has no shell in the default install as far as I can tell. What?? How can they expect geeks to feel comfortable with no shell? No shell, nil point! The k. shell is pretty basic atm but at least it has one. This is my 'must have' wishlist for the shell:
    The system was designed as a GUI project. It is difficult to expect the presence of Shell.
    danboid wrote:Is anyone working on a ssh client
    No.
    danboid wrote:shell unix-ish commands?
    Очень функциональный шелл
    Sorry, it's in russian.
    danboid wrote:Another thing I'm very keen to try out is my soundcard but I've been having problems with midamp so all I've heard so far have been the basic bleeps when using the menu. Both kfar and kfm can see my sata ntfs partition (/bd0) but midamp doesn't list that drive as an option although I can eventually view files on it under midamp if I type the path and then push a few buttons but even then I've not been succesful in playing an audio file yet- I've tried both a wav and an mp3- what audio codecs does midamp currently support or is this a problem with K's NTFS support?
    Midamp only for MIDI files.
    For WAV and MP3 use the AC97SND, but only if your sound card is supported (wiki)
    AC'97 for Intel, nForce, nForce2, nForce3, nForce4, SIS7012, FM801, VT8233, VT8233C, VT8235, VT8237, VT8237R, VT8237R Plus and EMU10K1X.
    danboid wrote:Apparently Menuet supports USB2.0 mass storage, printers and webcams now- what does menuet feature in the way of USB support? K didn't seem too recognise my 32GB lexar USB stick, even if I booted with it inserted.
    Support SATA HDD and USB Flash works through emulation BIOS. Sometimes it does not work - a question of luck.
    danboid wrote:I see mplayer and quake have been ported to menuet and the latest version has a DVD playing app too. If I install K. to HD can I run mplayer, quake and this DVD player under K?
    Quake 1 port is present, also Doom, Doom2.
    Everything else is done for the M64, but not for M32. M64 is a completely different system.
  • Hi Mario

It was the winamp-alike skin of midamp that made me think it would play audio files- I didn't give the MID bit of the name much thought :D

I've just been on the menuet mplayer page and indeed it seems there is no link to a M32 version nor source code- you have to pay for an m64 binary by the looks of things. However, mplayer is GPL so the code has to be made freely available on request right? I understand the legal issues around MPEG and DVD/CSS patents etc. but I wouldn't strictly require those as mplayer would still be very useful without and would add a huge chunk of functionality to Kolibrios.

I guess I can only hope for more nic support but I'm sure we'll see more commands added to the shell over time as it will become an itch that must be scratched.

Thanks for answering my questions!
  • Those wishing to receive the program very much, but the programmers working for the Kolibri very little.
    Mplayer program, which in itself is not working. It uses libraries that are also absent in the Kolibri - I very much doubt that in the near future it will be done.
  • danboid wrote:K didn't seem too recognise my 32GB lexar USB stick, even if I booted with it inserted.
    Try the latest night build, look into debug board (the app BOARD, its "User" tab). The stick must be inserted before booting so that BIOS could recognize it as bootable device.