Firefox

Everything you can't fit into other forums
  • theoretically, if modify c-- or my kcc, port libc and all(tooooo many) libs firefox needs, it can be ported to KolibriOS. But i don't believe in it now :)
  • Dreamers... :lol:
  • Alexus wrote:theoretically, if modify c-- or my kcc, port libc and all(tooooo many) libs firefox needs, it can be ported to KolibriOS. But i don't believe in it now :)
    In my opinion, for KolibriOS to be taken seriously by ordinary people who do not have too much computer knowledge, it should have firefox and open office. Do you think this will happen one day? If so when do you think it will happen?
  • Mario wrote:Dreamers... :lol:
    Kolibri is also a dream, but the dream is now real. :)
  • Jake wrote:
    Alexus wrote:theoretically, if modify c-- or my kcc, port libc and all(tooooo many) libs firefox needs, it can be ported to KolibriOS. But i don't believe in it now :)
    In my opinion, for KolibriOS to be taken seriously by ordinary people who do not have too much computer knowledge, it should have firefox and open office. Do you think this will happen one day? If so when do you think it will happen?
    Jake, you are not right =).
    To have a chance to create a useful device with KolibriOS as OS, KolibriOS must have ability to work with USB, and C\C++ compilers with all standard libraries to port some brouser (firefox is good, but for "who do not have too much computer knowledge", I prefer Chromium). Using it all problems with e-mail, office, calendar and the same things can be solved by google web tools such as GMail, Google Docs etc.

I have some thoughts about such device and it's perspectives , it can be based on mobile-ITX, usb 3.0 and HDMI to connect monitors. Using such things the system block with 12x7x3 cm format can be made.

But... It's just a dreams, without central developing and material (money) help to KolibriOS, all perspective sectors such as netbooks, tablets and other, would be concurred by such systems as Linux, MS Windows and IPhoneOS
  • Alexus wrote:
    Jake wrote:
    Alexus wrote:theoretically, if modify c-- or my kcc, port libc and all(tooooo many) libs firefox needs, it can be ported to KolibriOS. But i don't believe in it now :)
    Jake, you are not right =).
    To have a chance to create a useful device with KolibriOS as OS, KolibriOS must have ability to work with USB, and C\C++ compilers with all standard libraries to port some brouser (firefox is good, but for "who do not have too much computer knowledge", I prefer Chromium). Using it all problems with e-mail, office, calendar and the same things can be solved by google web tools such as GMail, Google Docs etc.

I have some thoughts about such device and it's perspectives , it can be based on mobile-ITX, usb 3.0 and HDMI to connect monitors. Using such things the system block with 12x7x3 cm format can be made.

But... It's just a dreams, without central developing and material (money) help to KolibriOS, all perspective sectors such as netbooks, tablets and other, would be concurred by such systems as Linux, MS Windows and IPhoneOS
    The russian government might help with Kolibri development. Look at this link
    http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 90,00.html

Also Sun Microsystems are interested in developing this type of thing. They created Java and Open Office. They should be one of the first people to ask for help!

Firefox has more capabilities than Chromium.

If I wanted to use google docs to store documents then I don't need to use Kolibri because Google made ChromeOS. I do not want to use Chrome OS because it requires you to store data online. I do not like the idea of storing my data online.

How much money is needed and how will money help?

Remember that linux was developed through an online community for free. The problem is that not many people know assembly language. :(
  • Jake wrote:The russian government might help with Kolibri development. Look at this link
    Russia's government is much more important matters very much spitting, and you think he cares about some little-known development of? Still, you dreamer!
    Jake wrote:Remember that linux was developed through an online community for free
    About Linux you are not quite right - very fast development for Linux has begun when IBM and other companies have shown the interest.
  • And, Linux is Unix like free system, so from the beginning it has the base of users and programmers, this is very important.
    I mentioned money, because i think that in this project , will be useful system of giving money to people who made some important improvements , this will stimulate the development process. And if I or some body else will say: "I give ****$ to anybody who will develop USB driver for kolibri", it will stimulate.
  • Just to be technically correct: KolibriOS does NOT require that all programs are written in assembly language. So the initial question "to convert firefox (or any other computer program) into assembly language" is incorrect. One doesn't need to convert a computer program to assembler to execute it.
    The problem is in libraries: API of KolibriOS (system functions which can be used by applications) are different from other OSes, and to get any program executed, one must teach this program how to do what it wants in terms of existing API. And this is complicated, because modern programs like Firefox and OpenOffice require very many libraries.
  • diamond wrote:Just to be technically correct: KolibriOS does NOT require that all programs are written in assembly language. So the initial question "to convert firefox (or any other computer program) into assembly language" is incorrect. One doesn't need to convert a computer program to assembler to execute it.
    The problem is in libraries: API of KolibriOS (system functions which can be used by applications) are different from other OSes, and to get any program executed, one must teach this program how to do what it wants in terms of existing API. And this is complicated, because modern programs like Firefox and OpenOffice require very many libraries.
    Thank you diamond, for your helpful response! :)

Is it possible to create a program that will teach Firefox or OpenOffice to do what is needed to be executed in Kolibri OS?

If Firefox was converted to assembler, would it be faster than if it wasn't converted? (This is assuming that one day in the future, Firefox will be executable in KolibriOS)
  • Jake wrote:Is it possible to create a program that will teach Firefox or OpenOffice to do what is needed to be executed in Kolibri OS?
    Theoretically - yes. Practically - this would require too many efforts.
    Jake wrote:If Firefox was converted to assembler, would it be faster than if it wasn't converted? (This is assuming that one day in the future, Firefox will be executable in KolibriOS)
    A compiler generates machine code, and usually it is not hard to add an option to generate assembly listing for generated code in compilation. Many compilers, including gcc, actually have such option. In this case generated listing is a program in assembler, so this process really is "converting to assembler", but the result is essentially the same program with same size and speed. Assembler allows to write any program, no matter, good or bad.
  • Would firefox be faster if it ran in kolibri than in Windows? Would firefox hog the RAM in Kolibri like in Windows?
  • No. Yes.
  • Why would firefox be faster if it ran in kolibri than in Windows? Could firefox be as fast in kolibri as google chrome is in Windows, may be faster?