uefi4kos

Kernel boot-loaders discussion
  • I wouldn't be surprised if the mode on this device 800x1280 but not 1280x800...

I'll try both ways...

I'm think we not need user interface yet... Other generations will do it

: Can you add simple screen chooser?
    Your program will already display all the screen permissions, Remain only add keyboard handler for clicking the button.
    If pressed "1" - run 1 mode
    if "2" - run 2 mode
    etc...

Although it is possible abietis without it... The more interesting thing is what happens next stutter
    Last edited by Evgeniy on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    2004: Kolibri OS - Operating system that fits on a single floppy disk (Система которая умещается на дискете).
    2020: Kolibri OS - Operating system that can only be run under Virtual machine (Система которую можно запустить только на виртуальной машине).
  • You make good work!

Yes I was right screen resolution 800x1280.

Im edit /EFI/KOLIBRIOS/KOLIBRI.INI and try this config

Code: Select all

; Screen resolution
    resolution=800x1280

; Duplicate debug output to the screen
    debug_print=1

; Start LAUNCHER app after kernel is loaded
    launcher_start=1

; Configure MTRR's
    mtrr=1

; 3: use ramdisk loaded from kolibri.img
    ; 5: don't use ramdisk
    imgfrom=3

; Path to /sys directory
    syspath=/rd/1

; Interrupt booting to ask the user for boot params
    ask_params=1
    UEFI find videomode, that progress!

uefi32kos loaded
    read options from config file
    Load kernel
    Load ramdisk
    Allocate memory for DEVICES.DAT
    Load DEVICES.DAT
    Locate GOP handlers
    GOP buffer size
    Look for GOP handler
    Query handler
    Look for RSDP
    RSDP found
    ACPI tables done
    option resolution: 800 1280

800 1280 1 800
    Video mode found
    Ask for params

The system try to start. On the screen something flashes but after one-two second system is rebooting.
    How do I know at what stage it is not working properly?
    What does ask_params allow? What i can input? And how?
    Im try off ram_disk and off mtrr but it nothing effect! :?

KolibriOS welcome to the world of vertical screen modes
    Last edited by Evgeniy on Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2004: Kolibri OS - Operating system that fits on a single floppy disk (Система которая умещается на дискете).
    2020: Kolibri OS - Operating system that can only be run under Virtual machine (Система которую можно запустить только на виртуальной машине).
  • Im try this image on x64 laptop but BOOTX64.efi show black screen with console line and run stopped.
  • It is interesting to try 800x600 resolution on 32-bit laptop, where width > height. If it boots ok, then the issue is because of height > width for 800x1280.

Do I understand correctly that there is no output of KolibriOS loader at all on 64-bit laptop, even "uefi64kos loaded"?
  • dunkaist wrote:It is interesting to try 800x600 resolution on 32-bit laptop, where width > height. If it boots ok, then the issue is because of height > width for 800x1280.
    Video mode 800x600 finded ok! But when loading of kernel started, kernel going to reboot.
    dunkaist wrote: Do I understand correctly that there is no output of KolibriOS loader at all on 64-bit laptop, even "uefi64kos loaded"?
    Yes
  • Evgeniy wrote:Video mode 800x600 finded ok! But when loading of kernel started, kernel going to reboot.
    Boot with the below config and record a video of the screen. I understand that the text will not be readable, that's ok, but I will see the number of strings and their length to guess the moment when things go wrong.

Code: Select all

resolution=800x600
    debug_print=1
    launcher_start=0
    mtrr=0
    imgfrom=3
    syspath=/rd/1
    ask_params=0
    Evgeniy wrote:dunkaist wrote:
    Do I understand correctly that there is no output of KolibriOS loader at all on 64-bit laptop, even "uefi64kos loaded"?
    Yes
    Is "Secure boot" feature enabled in BIOS settings?
    I have no other idea so far why bootx64.efi is not even loaded.
  • dunkaist wrote:Boot with the below config and record a video of the screen. I understand that the text will not be readable, that's ok, but I will see the number of strings and their length to guess the moment when things go wrong.
    Tried. The UEFI loader starts and writes that all the lines are the same as before. Then a black screen, a bit of waiting, and a reboot. Nothing else on screen... Maybe the video card is not compatible with kolibri? Do you need vesa support there?

Can UEFI check the compatibility of the video card with KolibriOS?
    dunkaist wrote:Is "Secure boot" feature enabled in BIOS settings?
    I have no other idea so far why bootx64.efi is not even loaded.
    I'm check bios of x64 laptop secure boot is disabled.
    In x32 laptop secure boot is disabled too.

Can anyone else from the core developers look at or check your loader?

Do you save sources on svn for public view?
  • information about videocard of x32 laptop from uefi cmd shell by "pci" command

SEG 00 Bus 00 Dev 02 Func 00 ==> Display controller - VGA/8514 controller
    Vendor 8086 Device 0F31 Prog Interface 0
  • Im test youre UEFI loader in Qemu boottester and it work fine.

So it's the hardware. It is not suitable for KolibriOS.

• http://ftp.kolibrios.org/users/dunkaist ... bri.raw.xz

No logs needed.

Questions:
    For 32-bit laptop: does it hang or reboot?
    For 64-bit laptop: does it print anything?
  • On 32x uefi load labels, then black sceen and freeze without reebot.
    On 64x "uefi64kos loaded" label and noting else
  • Evgeniy wrote:On 64x "uefi64kos loaded" label and noting else
    That's a great news that UEFI64 firmware loads our loader, finally. Let's go further: http://ftp.kolibrios.org/users/dunkaist ... i64.raw.xz. Only for 64-bit laptop.
    Evgeniy wrote:On 32x uefi load labels, then black sceen and freeze without reebot.
    Well, the video mode is set and the kernel is loaded into memory.
    The screen will change its color several times and then the system will reboot. I need to know only the last color before reboot: http://ftp.kolibrios.org/users/dunkaist ... i32.raw.xz. Only for 32-bit laptop.
    If the colors are changed too slow or fast, let me know.
  • dunkaist wrote:
    Evgeniy wrote:On 32x uefi load labels, then black sceen and freeze without reebot.
    Well, the video mode is set and the kernel is loaded into memory.
    The screen will change its color several times and then the system will reboot. I need to know only the last color before reboot: http://ftp.kolibrios.org/users/dunkaist ... i32.raw.xz. Only for 32-bit laptop.
    If the colors are changed too slow or fast, let me know.
    white
    red
    green
    blue
    yellow
    cyan
    and reboot.

~1 color per second.
    That color drwing from UEFI loader code or from KOS Kernel code?
    dunkaist wrote:That's a great news that UEFI64 firmware loads our loader, finally. Let's go further: http://ftp.kolibrios.org/users/dunkaist ... i64.raw.xz. Only for 64-bit laptop.
    Im try any times. Freeze and nothing else. No labels.
  • Evgeniy wrote:That color drwing from UEFI loader code or from KOS Kernel code?
    From the kernel. I.e. the kernel is loaded but crashes.
    New image for 32-bit: http://ftp.kolibrios.org/users/dunkaist ... i32.raw.xz
    Evgeniy wrote:Im try any times. Freeze and nothing else. No labels.
    Aha, EFI_SIMPLE_TEXT_OUTPUT_PROTOCOL.ClearScreen hangs :shock:
    New image for 64-bit: http://ftp.kolibrios.org/users/dunkaist ... i64.raw.xz