Compilation of lang.inc

Assembler programming questions
  • Why you do not using build.bat or make.sh?
    lang.inc it is select language to blue boot screen.
  • Why you do not using build.bat or make.sh? lang.inc it is select language to blue boot screen.
    What I mean is:
    Good: a build script (build.bat or make.sh) needs some source code (kernel.asm) (in order compile the project).
    Bad: a build script needs some source code AND the source code needs a special build tool because the build tool creates a source code file (lang.inc) and without this new source file the project is not compilable.

Do you see my point now?

Bost
  • A sollution is to put a lang.inc on the svn server.
    This file should be set to be ignored when commiting new/changed files to the SVN.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • A sollution is to put a lang.inc on the svn server. This file should be set to be ignored when commiting new/changed files to the SVN.
    hmm... and then every time you need to change the lang.inc you need to perform
    • unignore lang.inc
      commit lang.inc
      ignore lang.inc
    that's a quite a lot of work (read 'potential mistakes') and I'm not sure if SVN supports anything like that. I.e. if a file ignored by SVN is downloaded when you run 'svn update'
    I propose to put a comment to the 'include "lang.inc"' until we find any better solution.

Bost

PS: let's say wikipedia.org mirrors how people speaking different languages use internet and computers. So there are 42 languages with > 100k wikipedia articles so you need to change our lang.inc about 50 times

Code: Select all

; the lang.inc exists only during the build process.
    ; it is created and deleted by the build script (build.bat or make.sh)
    ; this is not a good idea since the build script should not generade any 
    ; source file, just compile the existing ones
    include "lang.inc"