Google Summer of Code 2016

Events from the world of KolibriOS and its developers
  • And just for the record, I dont think applying late affects an organization's chances but we should submit application before the deadline.

19 February 19:00 UTC Mentoring organization application deadline.
    ---
    Check out the Netsurf Web Browser for KolibriOS.
    Read the wiki and happy hacking with KolibriOS!
  • That's right, me and hidnplayr have filled the application, but seems it just have to wait for 19 February 19:00 UTC (so we may change something).
  • Pathoswithin wrote:That's right, me and hidnplayr have filled the application, but seems it just have to wait for 19 February 19:00 UTC (so we may change something).
    Cool!
    In case you want to make changes, if you post the application contents here, I can review it and offer any feedback/suggestions.

Side Note,
    Can someone remove that notice from the Wiki?

"Warning: the content on this site is not updated regularly nor verified. Thus, any page can be obsolete or just wrong. Beware."

IMO, We should change this to something more meaningful throughout the whole wiki (Not just GSoC page).
    And change it fast...
    ---
  • Поздравляю, вас приняли: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 154338304/
    Wildwest wrote:Yogev said that he will help us with administration (and probably with account), if Google choose us...
    I said that I will try to help as much as I can, not that I will help for sure. I still stand my words, but the emphasize is on "try to", not "100% guaranteed". I need to devote a bit more time to my personal life.
  • Congratulations for 2016!

Let's make the ideas a reality.
    ---
  • Какие дальнейшие действия? Поиск студентов?
    Как я понял deadline (25 March 19:00 UTC).
    Из хаоса в космос
  • Сначала они должны найти нас. Регистрация начнётся 14 марта.
  • Leency wrote:Какие дальнейшие действия? Поиск студентов?
    Вы можете напечатать флаеры и расклеить в ваших универах в ваших городах, чтобы привлечь студентов: https://developers.google.com/open-sour ... yer.A4.pdf

А пока что можете читать Mentor Manual: http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsoc-ment ... is-manual/
  • Hello All,
    I am Utsav Chokshi[Developer Chat Id : Utsav_Chokshi]. I am currently pursuing my masters from International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad [IIIT-H] in Computer Science and Engineering. I want to contribute to KolibriOS as GSoC 2016 aspirant.
    I had done assmebly level coding in my bachelors and developed program for large number factorial. I have good understanding of OS concepts and I have developed Mini Shell as part of my operating system course. I have experience working with PintOS [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pintos].
    Following are few questions I would like to ask :
    1)
    I went through projects' idea list and liked following idea :
    "QRCode in BootLog"
    What I understood by idea is : I need to implement QR Code Generation Algorithm from scratch in Assembly Language.
    Is my understanding correct ?
    2)
    GSoC idea page suggests that "submit a small bug fix/improvement to SVN".
    Can I get some test task to work upon ?
    3)
    From where I can start understanding KolibriOS code ?
    Any documentation on workflow would be great.
    4)
    What is best way of installing KolibriOS from developer's perspective ? I mean I want to develop and run KolibriOS side by side. Any specific emulator for that ?
    I am using ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks & Regards,
    Utsav Chokshi
  • Utsav_Chokshi wrote:Hello All,
    I am Utsav Chokshi[Developer Chat Id : Utsav_Chokshi]. I am currently pursuing my masters from International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad [IIIT-H] in Computer Science and Engineering. I want to contribute to KolibriOS as GSoC 2016 aspirant.
    I had done assmebly level coding in my bachelors and developed program for large number factorial. I have good understanding of OS concepts and I have developed Mini Shell as part of my operating system course. I have experience working with PintOS [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pintos].
    Following are few questions I would like to ask :
    1)
    I went through projects' idea list and liked following idea :
    "QRCode in BootLog"
    What I understood by idea is : I need to implement QR Code Generation Algorithm from scratch in Assembly Language.
    Is my understanding correct ?
    2)
    GSoC idea page suggests that "submit a small bug fix/improvement to SVN".
    Can I get some test task to work upon ?
    3)
    From where I can start understanding KolibriOS code ?
    Any documentation on workflow would be great.
    4)
    What is best way of installing KolibriOS from developer's perspective ? I mean I want to develop and run KolibriOS side by side. Any specific emulator for that ?
    I am using ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks & Regards,
    Utsav Chokshi
    I understand that you want people to read this and help out, but please don't double post. Now I'm confused which post to reply to...this one here or the other one at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3236 (they are exactly the same posts posted within 15 minute of each other)

Edit: Let's keep the discussion about this to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3236 IMO
    ---
  • В этом году мы сами запрашиваем количество слотов, по-этому нам нужно как можно больше менторов. (Google вообще считает, что менторов должно быть в два раза больше, чем студентов)
  • For students: viewtopic.php?t=3240
    Added note.
  • Hi guys, so GSoC 2016 has just ended and I have been asked to write some lines about my overall experience during the program. The reason I chose KolibriOS is mostly due to the fact that I found it fascinating when I came across it in school some years back and that now I was going to be a part of it and the fact that I would get to work on x86 Assembly. I got acquainted with the code base by working on a test task given by the devs on IRC and played around with the code. In the initial days of the project I had discussions with my mentor almost every day, from getting help in understanding how a piece of code works to making important design decisions. I got a lot of freedom with respect to working on the task of my choice. I made a slow progress initially but thankfully could complete most of the tasks I promised to deliver initially. All the devs on IRC and forum chat were helpful and extremely knowledgable. Overall it was a great experience learning how stuff works at a lower level and having contributed to my first open source project :).
  • I confirm the words above! It was amazing experience :)
    Kolibri <3