KolibriOS in eBox BIOS / 86Duino

Using Kolibri in embedded systems
  • lucrecelu wrote:now, seems LAN is working, I can ping out. see the TXT file
    and result is
    use nightbuild with new RAWRITE can working in internal SPI flash (1.5MB space left)
    use extend debug R6040 now is working...
    Hmm strange. So with the nighbuild #4439 or later, ping does not work, unless when extended debug information is enabled?
    Do you see any error messages on the debug board when ping is not working?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • any progress so far?
  • baggacfreak wrote:any progress so far?
    Yes, Anthony has provided me a test BIOS for eBox-3310MX-H model. Now I am testing it. There is enough space for "kolibri.img" and a few other files.
  • That sounds great, but is this hardware still available to buy somewhere? What is the price tag and how different are newer models with more computing power? I like the form factor and low power consumption off this device!
  • baggacfreak wrote:That sounds great, but is this hardware still available to buy somewhere?
    Yes, sure - either from the manufacturer itself (DMP Electronics: http://www.compactpc.com.tw/), or from a reseller in your country (Germany: http://www.epatec.de/ or http://ipc2u.de/).
    baggacfreak wrote:What is the price tag
    This depends where you buy it - directly from the manufacturer or from a reseller. Directly from the manufacturer (in Taiwan), eBox-3310MX-H is about $150 USD, excluding VAT, import taxes (if you have any) and shipping fee. From a reseller it's more expensive, but it already includes all the taxes & VAT, and shipping inside the country is generally free. If you want to buy just one, I'd suggest you buy from a reseller. I buy directly from the manufacturer, but I buy at least 5-6 each time (then it makes sense).
    baggacfreak wrote:and how different are newer models with more computing power?
    The model I got BIOS for (eBox-3310MX-H) is just 1 model behind the newest one, so it probably has 85-90% computing power of the newest one. But the newest model (eBox-3330) was just released, so I still don't have any of those to compare them, and the new models always have some hardware issues that get fixed with time. In addition, the BIOS we got is only for the 2nd newest (eBox-3310MX-H). So I don't suggest you buy the newest one, rather you should buy the 2nd newest (eBox-3310MX-H) if you want.
  • Thanks for your reply. That would be a nice giveaway for backers for the next kickstarter/googlesummer contest project!
  • baggacfreak wrote:That would be a nice giveaway for backers for the next kickstarter/googlesummer contest project!
    You stole my idea! :shock:
  • no problem xD
    By the way do these things have enough graphic power to run hd vids in linux/xbmc? That would be a nice xbmc client with dualboot into kos!
  • baggacfreak wrote:By the way do these things have enough graphic power to run hd vids in linux/xbmc? That would be a nice xbmc client with dualboot into kos!
    'These things' have no graphics card onboard...

EDIT: assuming we are talking about the 86duino...
    Last edited by hidnplayr on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • I found that the graphics adapter uses the main memory up to 64MB. But I guess it is not enough for hd video playback and raspberry pis are so damn cheap that it is better to use one of these as a xbmc client.
  • baggacfreak wrote:By the way do these things have enough graphic power to run hd vids in linux/xbmc? That would be a nice xbmc client with dualboot into kos!
    Which resolution do you mean by "HD"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video
    The GPU (videochip) in eBox is not strong enough. Currently it can play videos up to 480p in KolibriOS using Fplay: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1602&p=55084#p55084
    In Windows it is even less. After more optimizations in KolibriOS, I believe 720p can be achieved, but not 1080p or more.
    hidnplayr wrote:'These things' have no graphics card onboard...
    You are confusing 2 different devices that use the same CPU (I mentioned both in this topic). The eBoxes do have graphics card onboard, while the 86Duino doesn't.
  • Hi,

mp4 x264/x265 and at least 720p would be nice. But as said with the price from the raspberry pi I guess xbmc client is best on the raspberry pi and Kos on the ebox.

CU!
  • As of revision #5154 KolibriOS kernel supports 16bpp VESA modes, and thus it is now possible to use the Vortex86 VGA card that fits the 86duino one.
    Brief install instructions here: http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/Booting_on_86duino
  • Will KolibriOS work on 86duino?
    Does anyone tried?
    Из хаоса в космос