Board.KolibriOS.org

Official KolibriOS board
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:03 am

All times are UTC+03:00

Post subject: mouse capture issue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am 

I have a chromebook running a crouton Ubuntu linux installation with xfce desktop. I am using QEMU to run KolibriOS inside that. So "qemu-system-i386 -fda ~/Downloads/kolibrios/kolibri.img -boot a" loads a stable instance of Kolibri but the mouse capture won't work. I tried to find a solution but the only thing that kinda worked was "qemu-system-i386 -fda ~/Downloads/kolibrios/kolibri.img -boot a -usb -usbdevice tablet"... this makes the mouse capture work but the instance of Kolibri crashes two seconds later with the error "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". Can anyone help me here. I have no idea what is going on.

Post subject: Re: mouse capture issue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:09 pm 

timbatty wrote:
I have a chromebook running a crouton Ubuntu linux installation with xfce desktop. I am using QEMU to run KolibriOS inside that. So "qemu-system-i386 -fda ~/Downloads/kolibrios/kolibri.img -boot a" loads a stable instance of Kolibri but the mouse capture won't work. I tried to find a solution but the only thing that kinda worked was "qemu-system-i386 -fda ~/Downloads/kolibrios/kolibri.img -boot a -usb -usbdevice tablet"... this makes the mouse capture work but the instance of Kolibri crashes two seconds later with the error "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". Can anyone help me here. I have no idea what is going on.
Hi, timbatty! :roll:

I don't no what is going on, but you can try this command line (i use Ubuntu Linux and QEMU too and it works ideally):
Code:
qemu-system-x86_64 -L . -m 256 -fda ~/Downloads/kolibrios/kolibri.img -localtime -vga vmware -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user -soundhw ac97 -usb -usbdevice tablet
Of course you can try to replace qemu-system-x86_64 with qemu-system-i386, if you use 32 bit Ubuntu Linux. May be it works.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:46 pm 

THANK YOU! that worked... i'm a complete novice to using QEMU, but was sure it was because i was not describing the virtual machine enough. Can you explain this command line to me, each argument so I can build up a better understanding of how to describe specific virtual machines in QEMU.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:28 pm 

timbatty wrote:
THANK YOU!
Your welcome! :D
timbatty wrote:
that worked...
Great. :)
timbatty wrote:
Can you explain this command line to me, each argument so I can build up a better understanding of how to describe specific virtual machines in QEMU.
Qemu is well documented. :wink: Type in terminal:
Code:
man qemu-doc
But ok, i can try to explain command line to you, that i wrote above.
Code:
qemu-system-i386 - 32 bit QEMU Emulator.
qemu-system-x86_64 - 64 bit QEMU Emulator.

Keys:
-L . - sets bios location.
-m 256 - sets guest startup RAM size to 256 megabytes.
-fda ~/Downloads/kolibrios/kolibri.img - use file kolibri.img as floppy disk image.
-localtime - sets the local time.
-vga vmware - sets type of VGA card to emulate as vmware.
-net nic,model=rtl8139 - sets network card as rtl8139.
-net user - use the user mode network stack which requires no administrator privilege to run.
-soundhw ac97 - enable audio and selected ac97 sound hardware.
-usb - enable the USB driver.
-usbdevice tablet - adds the USB device as tablet.
I hope everything is clear. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:55 pm 
-usbdevice tablet seems to help with the mouse issue. Somewhere here I used qemu, too. I prefer virtual box though. It is available for linux, too. Maybe trying this out helps for future projects.