Finding Computer with correct hardware for KolibriOS?

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Perhaps Qemu oder Virtualbox Emulation would help! That way one does not need new or the right hardware.
  • inlovewithGod wrote:I'm really interested in trying out KolibriOS, but I'm not sure the best way to find a computer that has hardware that KolibriOS supports.

Just recently I got a Dell laptop and tried to install Debian on it but it failed due to not recognizing the network hardware. It's hard enough to install Linux on a new computer and have all the hardware work.

Anyway, any tips or suggestions on finding a computer that would have hardware that KolibriOS would support and work on great? I'm not savy enough to buy hardware parts and build a computer myself, so more looking for purchasing something.

Thanks,
    Jeremiah
    Hey, was it that your Dell can't detect the Wifi in Debian or Ubuntu? I have fix for that somewhere, but it is only related to wifi. Took me forever to get it working on my dell.

Also, I am recommend using Oracle VM VirtualBox because it is simple to use. I had no issue with it.
  • Emulation or VMs would work, but I would like to get Kolibri running on raw hardware, to see just how fast it is and see if it's feasible to use for some basic computing.

Thanks,
    Jeremiah
  • Here is a list of supported network, audio,... devices: http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/Hardware_Support

I would recommend you to buy a second hand desktop computer.
    Pentium 3/4, AMD Athlon etc comes to mind. A lot of popular network and sound cards of this era are supported.
    If not, you can always plug in another PCI card for sound/network/..

If you'd rather buy something new, you could buy an ebox (http://www.compactpc.com.tw/default.aspx)
    Some of the developers have such a device so there is generally good hardware support.

PS: Why not just give it a go on your laptop?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • Thanks for the tips. The ebox looks pretty sweet, I may have to buy one just to try out Kolibri on it.