Installing Kolibri through a USB stick.

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Which tool exactly did you use? KolibriOS has its own USB stick installation tool.
    1. run inst.exe (folder HD_load\USB_Boot)
    2. choose your drive (example E:\ [USB name])
    3. Copy kolibri.img to your USB stick
    Try to boot from this USB stick. If KolibriOS doesn't boot, then in addition:
    4. run setmbr.exe (folder HD_load\USB_Boot)
    5. choose your drive (example E:\ [USB name])
  • I made a one step installer for windows named kinst.exe.
    See topic viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2870
    Greetings from Seppe
  • I did that exactly. But what I'm trying to do is to make an installer from a USB. I have a laptop that only has a 4.0 GB SSD on it. It has no operating system and I wanted Kolibri to be the only operating system on the laptop. I want to be able to boot from the USB, then install it from the USB. That way it is a permanent system on the laptop.
  • jake530 wrote:I did that exactly. But what I'm trying to do is to make an installer from a USB. I have a laptop that only has a 4.0 GB SSD on it. It has no operating system and I wanted Kolibri to be the only operating system on the laptop. I want to be able to boot from the USB, then install it from the USB. That way it is a permanent system on the laptop.
    You have to be more specific in your question next time :-)
    KolibriOS cannot install itself yet (we haven't added that feature yet). To install KolibriOS on a hard disk / SSD when no other operating system exists there, you have to use another operating system besides KolibriOS. You can install GRUB (or GRUB4DOS) for example, and then boot KolibriOS from it: http://wiki.kolibrios.org/wiki/Booting_from_GRUB
  • Alright. Thank you! I'll try that as soon as I can.