How you can install KolibriOS on Hard Disk

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • I know there is no real installation hence the quotes.
    I think you missed the point and it's not to make things more complicated than to give KOS the means to prepare a hard drive by itself. It should, on the contrary, help make it simpler to get it ready to go. Why think backwards ?

The help file wasn't clear on the subject yet people say it answers "all your questions". The forums don't help with users giving advice that goes against usual methods : "use another Os to install a bootloader" but also don't explain this fact straight away.

But anyway, you are right on the fact the KOS isn't ready for mainstream usage and it will probably never be if small things like these keep going on.

In my case, I had to get a linux distrib on another usb drive to get grub installed on the hdd although i'd prefer mtldr.
  • Preparing a hard drive is not a small thing to do, so nobody is motivated for this currently.
  • Hello,
    If the filesystem used by kolibriOS is FAT16 or FAT32 a way is install FreeDos or ReactOS and then copy files from KolibriOS image or ISO to the created filesystem.
    When we have all files copied to filesystem in harddisk physical or virtualiced How can enable to load cleanly KolibryOS or Shared with the others Operating System. ReactOS have freeldr.ini.

By example:

I have created a clean installation of ReactOS virtualized under KVM / Virt-Manager with a virtual IDE disk FAT32 (2GB) and added virtual floppy asigned to kolibrios image.
    Then as i have FAT32, copied the content of kolibrios to FAT32 filesystem but now a have a doubt.

How can make boot kolibriOS in two modes, first deleting ReactOS files and remaining only kolibrios files or adding an entry to freeldr.ini, assuming that is the only virtual disk and primary partition and the boot flag enabled.

There is any tool that set kolibrios bootable without a thrird party bootloader?

All this procedure can also be completed with a live cd/dvd linux and gparted. Also with a Linux Live i think is posible to install a bootloader but i do not know the special settings to load kolibrios kernel.....
  • I was thinking about making a tutorial video about freedos and kolibri os install. Would it be possible to install freedos (to format the harddisk or virtual disk). Set the disk to bootable and than use syslinux to boot kolibrios?

"Using syslinux

Get memdisk and console syslinux.exe (http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/)
    Copy memdisk and the kolibri.img image on a flash drive
    Run syslinux -s <device> , where <device> is the flash drive name (for example H:)
    Write in syslinux.cfg on the flash drive:
    default memdisk initrd=kolibri.img

Select floppy in the blue boot screen. "
    from the wiki!

or is there a better bootloader for dos?
  • Would be insteresting to know if thereis documentation about the steps used to load KolibriOS into memory, by example: sector/s (1 sector 2....) in use in the standar floppy disk (mbr...) and if it is compatible with other operatin systems as FreeDos or the differences with it.
  • I use kolibri os mostly with virtualbox. To get it onto the virtual disc I use a virtual disc which has windows xp installed and boot.ini or my lates case for the youtube videos I attached the img to floppy and add a fat32 virtual disc with the additional apps plus the browser alpha. Works fine for me, but I see the problem some inexperienced useres have. So next kolibri os youtube video might be a setup with freedos and virtualbox. Xmas is coming and so sparetime (hopefully).
  • As to manipulate partitions and booting sectors are very risky.......... Precaution !!!

A good starting point is reading info in http://thestarman.pcministry.com/asm/mbr/index.html

I think that first thing to do is some type of tool into KolibriOS that can visualize, analyze, and get info of all sections of MBR to practise and learn. Then try to do something that works.

By example an os independent BootManager can be used initialy: https://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/ ... =directory

and is GNU General Public License version 2.0 (GPLv2)
  • Check out my video about using freedos 1.2! I hope this will be a better easier way for newbies in the future!
  • I agree with what was said earlier : The install instructions are stupid, they are useless. I am a windows user and I just want to load Kolibri on a laptop.

Why is it so hard to understand? It honestly cant be easier after all these years? Why would anyone want to use an OS that is hard to install?

NOT EVERYONE USES LINUX - make the installation EASIER TO UNDERSTAND AND PROVIDE INSTRUCTIONS THAT WORK.

This is my first and last post here. I will find another OS to use that actually has installation instructions. Get your act together!