Keyboard layouts added to Kblib

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • The additional keymaps are very appreciated altough I dont use any of the new ones.

But... there used to be 2 programs that hold keymaps (one too many already) and now there's a library too? *sigh*
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • hidnplayr wrote:there used to be 2 programs that hold keymaps and now there's a library too? *sigh*
    After the implementation of unicode, Klib will read the unicode version "Keymap.rtf" from disk.
    Likewise, the programs you mention should read that same file to produce the legacy ascii keymap tables.

I strongly suggest that we store the keymap file (and possibly all other system settings) outside Kolibri.IMG.
    This way, the settings don't get lost after a OS update, and the blue screen must not be shown when user settings are around and valid.

The path of the setting files must be decided, and the logic to determine it.
    I suggest a searchpath like Apple's blessed folder or the UEFI startup folder.
    This should become a new major topic in the OS.

Note: There is no rush. In the meantime, Klib will object embed the keymap.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • settings are in /sys/settings, this does not have to be inside kolibri.img

Discussion about settings folder, and the appdata folder, can be found here (in russian) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2457

PS: I understand the need for unicode, but why use the .rtf extension?
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • hidnplayr wrote:settings are in /sys/settings, this does not have to be inside kolibri.img
    Discussion about settings folder, and the appdata folder, can be found here (in russian) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2457
    I am glad that this topic has been addressed :) . However, I need to know the whole story, and I dont understand a word Russian, and reading computer translations is confusing. :(
    I posted a translation request on that topic. I hope that a Russian member knows a bit English. We will see . . .
    hidnplayr wrote:I understand the need for unicode, but why use the .rtf extension?
    My mistake! In fact, I did not yet choose a name. Could remain "keymaps.txt" or "keymapsu.txt" or wathever name.txt. I will make that file as soon as my KbTool application can display unicode symbols.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • I have tried running the KbTool but it had no effect.
    What is the procedure to get it working?
  • You need to install the Klib first. Instructions are here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2867&p=59933
    Also: "not working" is the worst description ever ;) Give more details what you are trying to do and where this fails.
  • I simply copied the Klib folder, and opened the KbTool.
    I was hoping this would change the system's keyboard layout so that I can use my keyboard.
  • technogangster wrote:I simply copied the Klib folder, and opened the KbTool.
    I was hoping this would change the system's keyboard layout so that I can use my keyboard.
    seppe wrote: Note: For now, only Klib routines use the additional keyboard layouts.
    What keyboard layout is it exactly you need?
  • all right, sorry for the confusion.

the layout I need is Portuguese (pt-latin1)