Rufus now supports KolibriOS (ISO -> USB)

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • Thank you! Now we will have a way to install for beginners.
    Всем чмоки в этом проекте! Засуньте эти 11 лет себе в жопу!
  • I just purchased a new labtop "packard bell easynote TE69BM" model "Z5WT3" to experiment with KolibriOS.
    It only has UEFI boot firmware, and legacy BIOS is no longer available.
    I've put "USB FDD:" on top of the boot priority order, before the "Windows boot manager".
    I used rufus to put Kolibri.iso on a USB stick.
    I tried the 3 partition shemes to boot Kolibri, but without success. :(
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by seppe on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • Can you try creating a FreeDOS bootable USB using Rufus and see if that boots?
    Also, if you have the option, you normally want to pick USB:HDD rather than USB:FDD (FDD is for floppy emulation).
    If possible, you may also want to try booting KolibriOS from a different machine.

If you can't boot FreeDOS or KolibriOS boots on a different machine, then the issue is likely to be with your computer...
    Rufus: Create bootable USB drives the easy way.
  • On other machines (a tower hp/Compaq/ubuntu, and a hp-laptop/win7) KolibriOS and FreeDos auto-boot from a USB stick without problem.
    On an acer-packard-bell easynote TE69BM model "Z5WT3" laptop (win 8.1) I can't get KolibriOS nor FreeDos to work.
    In the setup firmware, I can only choose "UEFI" mode.
    Putting "USB HDD" on top of the priority order does not make a change.
    The boot manager (F9) only displays "1. windows boot manager" in its boot options menu.
    I fear that new computers may drop Bios compatibility, and a UEFI solution will have to be found.
    I apologize for my ignorance about UEFI boot firmware and I hope that I don't post nonsense.
    Congratulations with your work on Rufus.

From Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Ex ... _Interface

With the release of Windows 8 in October 2012, Microsoft's certification requirements now require that computers include firmware that implements the UEFI specification. Furthermore, if the computer supports the "Connected Standby" feature of Windows 8 (which allows devices to have power management comparable to smartphones, with an almost instantaneous return from standby mode), then the firmware is not permitted to contain a Compatibility Support Module (CSM). As such, systems that support Connected Standby are incapable of booting Legacy BIOS operating systems.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • Thanks for your efforts! :)
    Because of this I was finally able to install KolibriOS to a USB drive!
    I actually tested with two drives, and both worked: I was able to boot the system from the USB drives (Tested on a Compaq CQ57 laptop).
    What's impressive is that HDAudio works just fine! (Well, HDAudio also works well with Haiku, but it doesn't work on AROS).
    So, thank you again.
    Rufus *really* makes it easier to install KolibriOS to USB drives.
    (And thanks to all KolibriOS developers too.)
    Regards,

-- louisdem