Dead keys for Western Latin

Post here questions, problems and suggestions in English language
  • We already have a "character picker" called ASCIIVJU: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1455

Your applications seems to work good, only problem I found was that € symbol (placed on the e key on our keyboards) does not work.
    Why do you use built in keymap? I think nobody besides you and me here have belgian keyboards :)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • hidnplayr wrote:We already have a "character picker" called ASCIIVJU: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1455
    ASCIIVJU does not show the western codepage and it does not copy the picked characters to the clipboard.
    The source code might help. Do you know if the source code is available?
    Greetings from Seppe
  • As almost all programs, it's source code is on our SVN server :)

http://websvn.kolibrios.org/listing.php ... 900f51c0c3
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein
  • hidnplayr wrote: Why do you use built in keymap? I think nobody besides you and me here have Belgian keyboards :)
    There are many keyboard layouts in Europe, and the setup.asm routine will need often updates.
    The built-in keymap will be used to enter and test a newly created keyboard layout.
    Another button will write the table as Fasm code to disk, ready to be included in the setup.asm source.

I suggest to apply Microsoft's country codes using 2 letters + an optional third letter for keyboard variants.
    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262283
    The current keyboard codes (0 to 7) can remain operational (legacy).

I appreciate feedback.
    Greetings from Seppe
  • seppe wrote:I still need to work out the dead key combinations (ë, ò, û, . . .).
    Here is the new version of my "KeyView" application with functional deadkeys.
    It works for all European keyboards when used with CP1252.
    The € symbol works now.

Request for hidnplayer : Please change scancode 0x1A from 0x5E to 0x88.

In my opinion, dead key handling should be done by the keyboard driver(s).
    I give you the list and the flowchart.

To help all European KolibriOS users, I consider to offer library functions for displaying CP1252 text.
    I might add a function for keyboard input with dead-key handling.
    Attachments
    flow for dead-key handling
    deadkeyFlow.jpg (38.03 KiB)
    flow for dead-key handling Viewed 5644 times
    deadkeylist.rtf (1.53 KiB)
    List of 51 deadkey combinations for European keyboards
    Downloaded 241 times
    KeyView (12.08 KiB)
    New version of keyView with dead-key handling.
    Downloaded 230 times
    Greetings from Seppe
  • Why not show us your code for dead key handling so it doesnt need to be re-invented to be put into the kernel :)
    It seems your application 'KeyView' was written in C (compiled with GCC?) but it may still help.

PS: scancode 0x1A changed from 0x5E to 0x88 in #4942
  • I give a new enhanced version of my KeyView with a character chart for both systemfont and Western Latin.
    The tab key toggles between both fonts. The ASCII and scancode is shown for in keyed characters.
    The application is not finished, but I already give it so maybe you can help me with the following:
    After typing some special key combinations, the NumLocked keys do not return numbers anymore.
    I can't pinpoint it. It makes me crazy. Any ideas?
    hidnplayr wrote:scancode 0x1A changed from 0x5E to 0x88 in #4942
    Thank you. All dead-key combinations are perfect.
    hidnplayr wrote:Why not show us your code for dead key handling so it doesn't need to be re-invented to be put into the kernel.
    It seems your application 'KeyView' was written in C (compiled with GCC?) but it may still help.
    I send you my source (KeyView.rtf). Best viewed with WordPad using Euphemia 9 and Arial 8.
    The language is Mas (Modern assembly). I doubt that it is useful to you. Maybe one day . . .
    Anyway, the dead-key implementation makes no sense as long as CP1252 is not around.
    When KeyView is finished, I'll start working on a library for Europeans.
    Attachments
    KeyView.rtf (18.4 KiB)
    source for keyview application (Mas)
    Downloaded 251 times
    KeyView (13.04 KiB)
    KeyView application 26.05.2014
    Downloaded 228 times
    Greetings from Seppe
  • Wow, that is some strange looking source code, the binary looked much clearer than this mess :)

It seems to me that the keys, 4, 6, 8 and 2 always function as arrow keys, while 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 work almost like they should. (pressing 5 returns number 7 for example)